Saturday, June 25, 2022

Saint George Bound


Earlier this week we went on another journey to Saint George. My in-laws rented two houses at the Arcadia Resort where we stayed twice last year (1, 2) for an extended family retreat. 

The timing was perfect because I really needed a vacation! 

But before I recap the Saint George portion of the trip, let me first share the adventures we had on the way there. 

We couldn’t check in until 4:00 so we left early in the morning and made our way there slowly. We stopped for lunch at the All American Diner in Cedar City. Positive reviews from all of us! Then we went to the Frontier Homestead State Park Museum (it’s a mouthful. I took a picture of the sign out front so I could remember the name). 

Our kids are hit and miss with museums. Sometimes they love them, and sometimes they turn into big ole whiney pants and make each other (and me) miserable. Now that I think of it, I’m the same way. I often tell my kids, “Museums are awesome AND boring. Isn’t it great that we get to experience both?”

The kids ended up liking this museum more than I expected. There were some fun activities there, and it wasn’t crowded (always a plus in my book)! 

Zoe in the dunce cap

Nicky trying to lasso

A trial run in a stage coach (only takes 36 hours to get to Salt Lake this way)

Daisy as a schoolmarm

Panning for (fools) gold

Their favorite activity was the laundry. They could have laundered for hours! If only they had that enthusiasm for laundry at home! Heck, I’d even let them use a washboard! 


After we left Cedar City, we went to the memorial for the Mountain Meadows Massacre. If you're not familiar with the Mountain Meadows Massacre, you can learn more here. It is one of the darker events in the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Years ago I had to read two books about the massacre, American Massacre and Massacre at Mountain Meadows, and write a ten page paper comparing the two. It was interesting to see where it happened and experience the feeling that exists on that ground. 

Gravesite Memorial


Statement of regret from Henry B. Eyring

There are a few different memorials in the area, but we only went to this one because our kids were being feisty. 

In the massacre, about 120 people were killed by Church militiamen. At this monument, there are 81 identified names in stone. I walked around and counted 47 names of individuals under the age of 20. It's devastating to think of the tragic loss of such young lives. 

From Mountain Meadows, we headed to Saint George.

To be continued...

No comments: