Monday, February 22, 2021

It's Not So Bad

Today so far:

I woke up with a feeling of something in my eye. I can't find anything in my eye, and I'm on hour three of that uncomfortable sensation, so I've probably scratched my eyeball or my eyelid somehow. 

I have a sick kid home from school. 

My hair is caked in a film, making me wonder if I forgot to rinse out the conditioner (something I do more than I care to admit). 

I have a dentist appointment this morning. That will be fun with my sore, watery eyeball.

I also have a mysterious bump that I'm hoping is not a staph infection or cellulitis. I'm a little paranoid of bacterial infections after Scotty had to have a staph infection cut out of his leg in 2012, and Daisy spent four days in the emergency room with cellulitis in 2018. Mysterious bumps are bad news. Avoid them at all costs. 

But all is well. It's just a weird morning so far.

Yesterday for "home primary" I had my kids watch the Friend to Friend broadcast that the church released on Saturday. My kids have never been very agreeable when it comes to church broadcasts, so I anticipated their resistance and a lot of whining. I never thought we'd make it through the entire 45 minutes. To my astonishment, they were totally into it! 

Eva and Zoe love to read the Friend magazine on the toilet. I hung a magazine rack on the wall, and they always pull the laundry hamper up to the toilet like a desk and flip through magazines. 


Part of what held their interest during the Friend to Friend broadcast was that they talked about so many things from the last few issues of the Friend magazine. Zoe repeatedly said, "I saw that in the Friend!" Then she was excited to show me all the things from the broadcast in her magazines. "See, Mom, this is the boy that we saw on TV. Here is the rock art like the lady made on TV." It was fun to see her recognize those things and express enthusiasm over them. 

Part of the Friend to Friend included learning how to draw a picture of a child praying. Again, my kids were totally into it! They drew praying children all day yesterday. 


It was one of those small parenting victories that made me feel like maybe things aren't so bad. We've really had some struggles with Zoe and Eva lately, so I'm so grateful for a small "win."

No comments: