Thursday, August 1, 2019

I Think it Might Be August (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: Last week, we inherited a "new" couch.


This is very exciting since we haven't been able to seat our whole family for a movie for many years. The problem is, the couch takes up all the wall space in the living room, and now we have a stray piano that's just hanging out in the middle of the floor until we figure out what to do with it. Living in a small space has lots of complications. We really need to finish our basement.

And yet, pioneers lived in one-room cabins with shared beds and somehow survived.

Fact #2: Speaking of pioneers, a thought just occurred to me. Pioneers were a lot tinier, height-wise and width-wise, than we are. We can blame fast food and our sedentary lifetsyles or whatever, but maybe we've just adapted to the the size of our living spaces. Maybe our big houses with high ceilings are what has caused us to spread out.


Fact #3: Do you see how gigantic my son is in the couch photo above? I am waiting for him to surpass me in height. I am 5'7", and he is about 5'5". He hasn't had a growth spurt in a while. Any minute now, he is going to shoot up past me. He wears men's clothes and a size 11 shoe.

Fact #4: Zoe has a very difficult hairline. It's always been really hard to do her hair. Anything that requires her hair to be pulled back doesn't look good.



Fact #5: Yesterday was my last dance class for the summer. I had so much fun doing it, and the girls who participated were wonderful!


Fact #6: A few weeks ago we invited all the girls from dance class to come play at our house. While I was making them lunch, they got out the game "What Do You Meme?" which my friend gave us for Christmas. When I had originally opened the game, there was a pack of cards labeled "adult content." I threw them away without even looking at them and made the mistake of thinking the game was then "family friendly."

The girls sat around the table playing the game for a long time. They were having a blast, and they laughed and laughed. Then one of the girls brought a card to me and said, "What does this word mean?" I was horrified to look down and see the word "pubes." 

I said, "Oh dear! This is not an appropriate card. I'm so sorry, I better take this card out." Then the girls said, "There are a lot of cards we don't understand. We've been putting them in a pile." So I checked the pile, and several of the cards had similar things on them.

I was horrified!

Later that night I went through all the cards and made the game truly family friendly. Then I looked closer at the box and realized I should have been more careful from the get go.


Don't let your kids come to my house. They will come home damaged.

Fact #7: Why I hate Otter Pops (and pretty much every other popsicle on the face of the planet):


And yes, that is a discman in the background. Long live the 90's!

Fact #8: I have a confession. My kids haven't read a dang thing all summer. We have only been to the library twice, and one of those times, we were getting movies for a road trip, and I actually said to my kids, "No books today!"

Our minds have rotted, and it shows. But this has not been a typical summer for us. I don't know if it's an anomaly or if our lives have shifted to this, but this summer has been wiggety wack!

Fact #9: I am excited for school to start but also not excited for school to start. I'm excited for structure and bed time and routines. I am not excited to send my kids back into the world. But I'm excited for learning and built-in socializing. I'm not excited that my son is going to school where he knows no one and where he has to adhere to a strict dress code that will not allow him to wear gym shorts and Hawaiian shirts. But at the same time I'm excited that he can't wear gym shorts and Hawaiian shirts to school because it's FREAKIN' JR HIGH, and I don't know how the general population of middler schoolers will treat the boy who looks like Paul Blart: Mall Cop. 


Fact #10: There are NEW EPISODES of Veronica Mars on Hulu, and I just found out yesterday. I have a few mini statements to make regarding this fact:

Statement #1: Veronica Mars is one of many things that I have no one with whom to talk about. Sometimes life can be so lonely.

Statement #2: Hulu and Netflix are constantly sending me emails about shows I might be interested in, and I don't think they've ever sent an email about a show that I am actually interested in. And, of course, Hulu failed to mention NEW EPISODES OF VERONICA MARS. Hulu and Netflix... you don't know me!

Statement #3: I accidentally kind of learned something about how Veronica Mars ends, and I'm sad about this.

Statement #4: I don't like knowing how things end. I don't want spoilers! Which is why I refused to go to church without finishing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Surely everyone at church would have finished it and would be talking about it (not so much. No one even mentioned it - but I still stayed awake for 24 hours straight to finish it). People who read the last page first... I can't even! So I'm disappointed that I accidentally saw some things online about Veronica Mars. 

Statement #5: Even though I love Veronica Mars, it does not have a "clean viewing" stamp of approval. Just know that Britt watches and reads a lot of things that she would never allow her grandma to!

Statement #6: Some TV shows, movies, and books scare me by the way the characters behave. I watch and think, "Is this really what the world is like? Is this really how people treat each other?" Veronica Mars is one of those shows. I am particularly sensitive to the way teenagers are portrayed in television - criminal activity, underage drinking, endless sex, bullying, etc. They engage in dangerous behaviors in a way that makes it all look normal and acceptable, and the way they treat each other is horrible! 


1 comment:

JJ said...

Your living room looks so different from how I I remember it. You don't post very many pictures of your house anymore.