Sunday, August 18, 2019

San Francisco: Part I

Last week, Scotty and I jetted off to San Francisco with our friends, Mark and Michelle. It was a quick trip. We left Thursday morning and got home Friday night.

Confession: I've been spelling San Francisco wrong my whole life
(San Fransisco) and only figured it out as I was preparing
for this trip. 

When we first booked the trip, I didn't think one night would be enough. But there's this phenomenon when you travel sans kids! You can do ten times the stuff in half the time. We were able to do a lot. So much, in fact, that documenting this trip is going to take a few posts.

Our first destination after leaving the airport was the Walt Disney Family Museum.


Mark and Michelle are fellow Disneyland enthusiasts, so this was an appropriate destination for our trip. I don't know that I would recommend it to others, though. It was very "museum-y" and overpriced, but we had fun there. 

(Our kids would've hated it and cost us a small fortune).

Scotty & Mark brushing up on their
Disney knowledge

Model of Disneyland in the 50's-60's

Walt Disney had a miniature train that 
ran around his property #lifegoals

After the museum, we headed to Fisherman's Wharf. We didn't have any specific plans, so we just wandered. 

We went to Boudin for lunch where I ate the three smallest fish tacos known to man, and then the four of us shared the two smallest beignets known to man. 

There are beignets in there somewhere

Sourdough? Yes, please!

After lunch we started walking toward Pier 45 when all of a sudden this guy on a bike started yelling at everyone to stop a guy who had just stolen a purse out of a car. He threw his bike down and started chasing the guy, yelling all sorts of profanities. The guy ran through the crowds and various people tried stopping him. 

It was all very adrenaline-rush-inducing, and we found ourselves running toward the excitement. We weren't able to see a resolution to the event. For all we know, the guy got away with the purse. 

We walked along Pier 45 for a while, but it wasn't so great. We watched a guy do a one-man-band performance, and there was a lady there that I worried was going to flash us, as every now and then she would start lifting up her shirt. 

From the vintage arcade at Pier 45
(My guess is she wears sweatpants and watches Gilmore Girls)

We then wandered over to Pier 39 - which is right in the same area, but somehow a lot different. It felt cleaner and safer. 

We looked in some shops and stopped for crepes. We also saw the sea lions, which I love watching because they are so weird looking. I feel bad for them for not having legs. It's almost like they were supposed to have legs, but they never formed correctly. Poor creatures. 

From there we headed to our hotel and checked in. 

Let me interject with a few observations about San Francisco. 

First, I think San Francisco was made for tiny people. The parking spots in San Francisco are very narrow, so every time we parked somewhere, I had to suck in and use my best contortionist moves to worm out of the back seat of the car.

(Note to self: if ever in SF again, rent a car with a sunroof).

Everything in the city seems so compact. So of course, our hotel beds were 18" off the floor and super small. Someone in our party may or may not have broken their bed.

Fixing the bed

Second, San Francisco doesn't seem to be a "sit down and stay awhile" type of city. Everywhere we went felt like a place we needed to vacate immediately, either because there was nowhere to sit, the smells were too bad, or our parking was going to expire. 

Even our hotel room had no seating and no dresser or table. We weren't meant to sit around or unpack our belongings while we were there. 

But don't worry! Our room had yoga supplies. 


Because used yoga mats and stability balls are a must whilst hoteling!

TO BE CONTINUED...

1 comment:

JJ said...

I had to google beignets cos I didn't know what they are but then I realized that's what they make on princess and the frog! I need to try these things!