Thursday, June 13, 2019

Hit the Ground Running

This week has been really busy. This morning I decided to give myself half an hour of blogging time before I hit the ground running. Then I have to... well... hit the ground running.


I just put in an grocery order on my lap top from my bed. I can't believe this is my life! I can grocery shop from bed! I even qualify for a free delivery! But I opted to pick it up. I'm a little weirded out by grocery delivery, but I think I need to open my heart to it at least long enough to use my FREE opportunity. But the problem with delivery is, that would require me to stay home, and I like to have the freedom to spontaneously exit my house at any time. Having to stay home to wait for people is a hard thing to ask of me.

As I am currently in bed, I'm haunted by a sour milk smell. I don't trust my nose as much as I used to. I used to be like a hound dog (with the exception of recognizing my own stench - I'm pretty sure I was the stinky kid in high school), but having smelly kids has ruined me. So there's this scent I keep catching a whiff of, but I can't hunt it down or even determine if it's real. It doesn't help that I have two kids with horrendous morning breath laying within arms reach of me. So many smells! There is no hope for us!

Right now, Zoe is my "Mom!" kid. I think she says "Mom!" every ten seconds, and sometimes, even if I respond quickly, she is already saying, "Mom!" again before I finish. She also asks me the same questions over and over. And she's very, very whiney. She is the middle daughter, and I often wonder if she is going to have some "middle child" issues. She seems to always be fighting for attention. They all do, actually, but Zoe's need for attention seems to be the most amplified right now.

Since school got out, I've gotten really bad at providing meals for my family. I'm usually pretty good at having a plan. I get most of my dinner prep done early in the day, and we eat pretty soon after Scotty gets home from work. But for the past three weeks, I haven't been able to get my crap together enough to make dinner. Part of it is the heat. It's not that hot yet, but it's hot enough that I don't want to cook. I need to shop for some "cool" food - like salad and sandwich fixings. I didn't include any of that in my grocery order for this week. Maybe next week. In the meantime, we have lots of cereal in our storage room.


Speaking of the temperature, I've been working on my wood crafts outside almost every day for the past few weeks (see #4). When I cut or sand, I try to wear safety goggles and a mask, and let's be honest... I forget to keep myself hydrated. I've ended up with heat exhaustion a few times. Last night was particularly rough, so I am making a written commitment to you here and now to drink more water.

And while I'm on the topic of hydration, I need to make a written commitment to you, dear readers, that I will stop drinking soda after Father's Day. I drank my first soda of 2019 on Mother's Day (Ruby Red Squirt), and I will drink my last one on Father's Day.

Hold me.

The first three sodas I drank were fantastic. None have been very good since. Yet, I keep drinking them because I want to relive the fantastic ones.

Last week I had to get a new phone. One of my many flaws is that I am constantly dropping my phone. Am I clumsy? Do I need a different case? I don't even know! But suffice it to say... my phones take a beating. I got a new phone in December of 2017, and within three months, once of the mics went out (I assume from being dropped all the time). Because of that, I had to use speaker phone to take phone calls, and I couldn't use Marco Polo without ear buds for over a year. Then last week, I was at Walmart buying an orbital sander (I have some things to say about this, so hold tight) when I dropped my phone, and it landed flat on it's face on the concrete floor. It seemed to be fine, but the next morning, when I tried to turn on my flashlight to find my clothes to go walking in the wee hours, it wouldn't work. Then later that day, I discovered that my camera also didn't work. I decided to go ahead and get a new one (and by "new" I only mean "new to me" because I actually got a "used" one, but glory hallelujah! I have a camera! Which I can't live without!)

I'm still getting used to having the ability to hold my phone up to my ear when I talk. I have to learn how to answer a phone all over again because I'm so used to holding my phone out in front of me and being on speaker phone. I'm also relearning that when I hold the phone up to my ear, I'm the only one who can hear the person.

With having a new phone, I've had to login to all my apps all over again, and for some reason, my photos aren't uploading to Google Photos, so I don't have any pictures for this post. I should probably insert a few gifs for your entertainment.



And now I have some things to say about Walmart.

Evil corporation... bal bla bla... stick that speil here. I know we're supposed to hate Walmart and shun it and all that... and the thing is... I do hate Walmart. And every time I go there, I seethe. But there are some things that I just have to get at Walmart. And I tried to buy an orbital sander from somewhere else, I really tried! But they were out of stock, and the closest store with one in stock was 20 minutes away, but the Walmart down the street had one.

Now here's the thing I hate most about Walmart: they treat everyone like a criminal. Granted, there's a lot of crap that goes down at Walmart. Our local store has a cop on duty. People have been shot in the parking lot. All sorts of exciting things happen there, and our Walmart is probably just "moderate" on the scale of Walmart scariness. Nevertheless, I AM NOT A CRIMINAL (although I will confess, I daydream about shoplifting and wonder if I'd be any good at it) (also, I recognize that saying "I AM NOT A CRIMINAL" probably makes me look more like a criminal).

In my experiences at Walmart, I have been chased down and told I couldn't wear my backpack in the store. Mind you, it was a small backpack that I used as a purse last summer. My purse? Bigger than the backpack. I could hide a lot more my purse than my backpack, but okay, Walmart.

We now get stopped at the door if we have anything in our cart that isn't bagged. Even milk. So basically, if you buy milk at Walmart, you are assumed to be shoplifting.

The Walmart I usually go to (which I refer to "yonder Walmart," and which is not the one immediately by my house) recently remodeled, and now they have gates that you have to go through to get into the store. You are only allowed to exit the store by walking through the registers, and a few weeks ago I watched a showdown between an old lady trying to leave the store empty-handed and the gatekeeper employee. The lady tried to go through the gates, and an alarm went off, and the employee was trying to make her to to a register, but the lady said, "I'm not buying anything!" and then she repeatedly tried to walk through the gates until the employee finally gave up and let her go.

I feel bad for the employees for having to enforce the stupid Walmart laws.

Though I really need to get off this subject, I'm still not done. No. Because I have to throw in here how stupid it is that Walmart now closes off their make-up section and tries to make you pay for your cosmetics at a special register. May I also say that I'm annoyed that they lock up pregnancy tests and condoms? And fake eyelashes? I don't even buy any of those things, and I'm still annoyed.

Now my goal whenever I go to Walmart is to get away with not paying at the cosmetic register and get out of the store without being stopped. It's become a game.

And I now bag my milk.

So back to the fact that I needed a new orbital sander.

Turns out, they have the dang things locked up. If you want a sander that costs $18.66, you have to find an employee to unlock the case for you. Now, I didn't buy the $18.66 sander. I splurged on one that was $29, but that doesn't matter because even if I wanted the $18.66 one, I still would have had to wander the store for 20 minutes to find an employee with a key.

I couldn't help but notice the $300 pressure washers on the other side of the aisle that were free for the taking, but the $18 sanders were locked up.

I can't help but wonder if Walmart is actually creating criminals. After all, we become what we are treated like, don't we?

And thus ends my half-hour of blogging that actually ended up being an hour.




1 comment:

Mama B said...

I try to avoid Walmart as much as possible.