Saturday, April 23, 2016

Bathroom Update

Back in February, I did a small update on my bathroom. I didn't get around to posting before and after pictures, and frankly, it doesn't matter if I do or don't because it really isn't that amazing, but for the sake of blog fodder, here I go. 

(Also, taking decent pictures of a bathroom is incredibly difficult, especially when you're lazy). 

Two things happened that started my bathroom renovation (it wasn't exactly planned):

Thing #1: A friend offered me some leftover chalk paint (black) and encouraged me to find something to use it on.

Thing #2: I found a mistinted quart of paint in a pretty blue shade at Lowe's for $5.

I decided to use the black chalk paint on my vanity and use the blue paint on the wall. In a plot twist, my friend couldn't find the chalk paint she promised me, so I ended up texting Cyndi all day long for two days in a row and gleaning from her knowledge of home-made chalk paint (which I made with some white mistinted paint I'd purchased over a year ago and had never used).

Here is what my bathroom looked like before the re-do (pretend the medicine cabinet is still on the wall):

Bathroom "Before"

Here is the wall behind the door (note the hardware falling off the wall - that went on for about three years because we are classy people):

Bathroom "Before"


Here is my bathroom now:


Bathroom Reno
(apparently my size options for this photo - a panoramic shot - are HECKA HUGE or too small)

I wanted to add something kind of unique to the bathroom, so when I found that funky, mosaic mirror at Ross, I decided to give it a try. I knew I would probably regret not finding some type of cabinet for storage, but I got the mirror anyway! So far it hasn't been a problem, but in a few years when I have three teenage daughters, I'm probably going to need a wall cabinet of some sort.

Here is a better look of the newly painted vanity with an introduction of a life lesson:

Bathroom Reno

Since I've lived with my choices for two months now, I can give you some insider information based on experience. The black rug is so messy. It shows every little speck, and it won't come clean! No amount of washing, beating, or vacuuming can make that rug look clean, so I'm already in the market for something different. Luckily, rugs are easily replaceable.

Anyway, I'm mostly satisfied with the re-do I wish I could have done something for the flooring and the faucet, but those things will have to wait. The paint on the vanity is holding up well (last week I coated it with polyurethane for extra protection). The vanity cost me less than $12 to update, and the paint for the walls was $5, so it was a very affordable update (you know, before I bought expensive shelves and a light fixture). 

1 comment:

Feisty Harriet said...

!!!!! This looks so great! Yay!

xox