Monday, May 19, 2014

Adventures

Scotty didn't have to work last Friday, so we decided to keep Nicky out of school for the day and go on an adventure.

We drove about two hours to Maple Canyon to hike.

There is a cobbled slot canyon there that we thought our kids would love.

image

image

There were lots of little places for the wee ones to climb to their hearts' content.

There were also many boulders that had fallen from the canyon walls and lodged in the path - proving that we could, in fact, die at any second.

image

This did not sit well with the part of me that is super paranoid of EVERYTHING.

(I am not going to let that part of me write this post).

(But seriously! IMMINENT DEATH!!!)

We didn't get very far into the canyon before things got interesting. The path was blocked by boulders that we had to climb over or under. Then we hit this:

Maple canyon

Maple canyon

Maple canyon

Which gave me the chance to test out my upper body strength (I couldn't have done that a year ago without Scotty hoisting me up by my tuchus).

At that point we decided not to continue on with the kids (immediately after the rope climb, there was another pile of caved-in rock to climb, and the path seemed to go on in that manner from there).

We all made it back out of the canyon alive and unsmashed. 

image

(Daisy, in true Daisy fashion, lost her hiking shoes and had to wear Barbie shoes).

We stopped by a fish hatchery on our way out of town.


So much.

Fish hatchery

My kids were in heaven, though. They thought that place was so cool. The employees let my kids feed the fish, and it created quite a frenzy. I thought a fish might jump into my lap for want of food.

Yeesh!

We picnicked at a park and spent a couple hours playing and chasing seagulls. Then we went to Little Sahara to play in the sand dunes for a while. It was pretty windy, so we didn't stay long, but our undies were full of sand regardless.

We drove through a couple of old towns and then headed home. 

Our kids were pretty awesome during our adventure, and they've been asking when we get to go on another one. Little do they realize that everyday is an adventure at our house, whether I want it to be or not!


1 comment:

Nameless-Sister-In-Law said...

Tuchus = My new word of the day.