Thursday, September 29, 2022

September Reads


Nerd Alert

All month I’ve thought about what I can write for “nerd alert.” My nerdiest traits are probably my love of strategy board games and my love of reading. I haven’t had much time to play board games this month (much to my dismay) save for my daily rounds of Wingspan on my phone. So here’s my “nerd alert” post in the form of books I read in September. 

Black Cake by Charmaine Wilkerson


Source: e-book

Summary: Benny and Byron learn about their mother's true history after her recent passing. 

Content: mature themes and a few swears. I *might* let my grandma read it. 

Review: ****

Final statement: I feel like I read a lot of books about unraveling multigenerational family drama. This one is right in there.


Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman



Source: audiobook

Summary: Emma suffers and injury that may end her career as a ballerina. Returning to her childhood home, she finds out she has inherited a house from her grandmother, Beattie. As she prepares the house to sale, she learns about her grandmother's past. 

Content: I don't remember very well because I actually finished this book at the end of August, but I think it was pretty clean. 

Review: ****

Final summary: this reminded me a lot of a Kate Morton novel, and it even had the same audiobook narrator that Morton's books do.

Daughters of the Lake by Wendy Webb



Source: audiobook

Summary: Kate finds a dead body washed up on the shores of Lake Superior and recognizes the woman from her dreams. Kate has to unravel he mystery of the dead woman's identity and death.

Content: Pretty clean, if I remember correctly. 

Review: 3.5 stars

Final statement: last month I read The Haunting of Brynn Wilder by the same author, and I liked it well enough to try reading another one of her books. Very quickly, I discovered that she's a bit of a "one trick pony." The two books had a lot of similarities. I do not like the audiobook narrator for these books, so if I read any more, I won't be listening, I'll be legit reading. There is one more book I want to try, The End of Temperance Dare. 


Elvis and Me by Priscilla Beaulieu Presley



Source: audiobook

Summary: a memoir of Priscilla's courtship, marriage, and divorce with Elvis Presley.

Content: what you'd expect from the sex, drugs, and rock and roll lifestyle. 

Review: ****

Final statement: you can read more of my thoughts on this book here. It was an enjoyable companion to keep me entertained while cleaning my house. Priscilla is the reader for the audiobook. 

The Downstairs Girl by Stacey Lee



Source: audiobook

Summary: Seventeen-year-old Jo writes an anonymous column for the local newspaper that stirs up the local society. 

Content: quite clean

Review: ****

Final statement: I have nothing more to day other than I enjoyed it!

----------------------------------------

Books I read this month but didn't like enough to review:













No comments: