Friday, September 2, 2022

A Hobby and a Plan

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #17:

Hobby

You know when you have to introduce yourself and say what your "hobbies" are? I used to really struggle with that, especially in early motherhood when I felt like I couldn't have any hobbies. In recent years, though, I've become more comfortable with it because I know my hobbies and interests much better now. Usually if someone asks my hobbies, I say gardening, reading, and (maybe) writing.


Gardening is pretty simple to understand. I like to grow stuff. Reading - yeah, everyone "gets" that. I like to read books. Nice and simple. But writing? Sometimes I leave it off the list. It's like... well, what do you write? And then trying to explain blogging can be awkward. I don't write poems. I don't write books. I don't want to call it "blogging" because that sounds silly (even though that's what it is), so I say "writing," but sometimes it's just easier to not mention it. Perhaps a better word for my hobby is "documenting" because I have always been an avid journaler, photo taker, and "writer downer." Blogging is only one of my methods. 

I have another hobby that I don't really mention, and that is "planning." It's a hobby that requires an explanation. 

"What do you mean by planning?"

My hobby is simply... making a plan. I'm really good at making plans! Meal plans, budgets, itineraries, schedules, etc. 

I love to plan. Making a grocery list is my idea of fun. Seriously. 

The problem is following through. That is not my hobby. I'm a planner, not a follow through-er. So if you want to know The Plan, I will tell you The Plan. If you want to see me uphold the plan, you're asking too much. I will buy what's on the grocery list, but then I will go home and order pizza. Because eating out is one of my other hobbies I choose to not mention in my introductions. 

Perhaps, someday when I feel like I can be really open about who I am, I'll say, "Hi, my name is Brittany. I enjoy reading, gardening, documenting, planning, and going out to eat." And maybe people will be like, "Hey, I dig that. You're cool." 

2 comments:

Jo said...

I do dig that. I do think you are cool.

Krystle Ricks said...

Eating out is mine and the hubs FAVORITE thing to do! When people ask what we like to do for fun that is ALWAYS our first answer. For myself though, I LOVE watching T.V. and movies. But that is one thing I'd NEVER say if someone asks what I like to do.