Sunday, September 19, 2021

Scootin’ in Style

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #29:

Journey

Over the weekend we took a little vacation to Saint George with some extended family. We stayed at the same resort we went to in June. 

Yesterday afternoon, Nicky and I rented mopeds and cruised around the town. I confess, I didn’t really want to do it, but Nicky begged and begged and even paid for his own rental. Being 14, he had to be accompanied by an adult, and with the weight limit on the mopeds, I was the only option. 

After getting some direction from the employee, we cruised down the street and hopped on a trail system and spent an hour driving out and back before we had to return the scooters. 

It ended up being a blast! The scooters were nice and mild - never going more than 20 mph, which is just my style! I went max speed through a couple of rain puddles, which is the perfect level of adventure for me, and I went fast over a couple of bumps just to test my wild side. 

The area we started in was quite elite - full of resort properties and fancy landscaping. Then we ended up in what I jokingly call the “slums of Saint George” - which is where we crossed through a graffitied tunnel littered with beer cans and then saw a man peeing off the trail (nothing we don’t run into daily where we live). 

I really enjoyed my little scooter journey and some one-on-one time with my son. I’m happy to report that his moped driving skills reflect a balance of responsibility and fun. I think he’ll make a great driver of legit street-legal vehicles a year from now!

1 comment:

Mama B said...

FUN! Now I’m curious what the weight limit is because I might not make the cut.