Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #22:

Place

For the past three summers, my in-laws have been serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints at a Church-owned campground in Wasatch County. Their responsibilities are a-plenty, but the short version is that they serve as the camp hosts and maintain the 200-acre property. 

We live just over an hour away from the camp, so we've spent several Sunday afternoons there visiting Grandma and Grandpa, and we've reaped many benefits from having our parents run a campground (i.e. we've been able to camp quite a bit these past three summers!) We've also done lots and lots of service.

Last summer the camp was closed due to the pandemic, but my in-laws still had to take care of it. There was a lot of work to do without campers there to help tamp down the trails and keep the facilities in use. Since there were no scheduled campers, but Scotty's parents still had to "live" there, we basically had free reign of the campground all summer with the stipulation that we needed to help keep the camp maintained. We kept the trails cut, repaired the gravel roads, refinished an amphitheater, and helped in any other way we could.

This year, they were able to open camp again - just a little later in the season than normal. 

This mission doesn't have a set amount of time to serve, like some missions do, but my in-laws will be finishing up October 1st and turning the camp over to someone else. It's bittersweet. We've grown to really love the camp, and we've made many memories there. 

Two weekends ago, Scotty and I booked one of the sites at the camp and invited a bunch of friends to come camp with us. It was fun to get to share "our" campground with some of our favorite people. 

Over Labor Day weekend, my in-laws hosted a family campout as a bit of a farewell to the camp. My family went and stayed the whole weekend. Other families came and went as their plans permitted, so we were able to spend time with a lot of different extended family members, some of whom we hadn't seen in years. 

The camp has a zipline, but you have to hire belayers from a company in Provo if you want to use it. Scotty's mom booked the belayers for Saturday morning so everyone could do the ropes course. 



Zoe doing the zipline. She climbed up the pole and crossed the wire to the platform like a champ. Then when she got to the platform, she cried hysterically and didn't want to go. As her mom, it was gut wrenching to watch. Then everyone started offering her money from below. She finally stepped off the platform... and made $70!


Nicky on the zipline


Daisy on the zipline. I was completely shocked that she did it. I missed her first run because I was taking care of some of the younger kids at the pavilion, but she went again later, and I was able to watch her the second time. 

Scotty on the zipline (I should have pushed the camera button a littler sooner, but this photo made me laugh)

Where are the photos of me on the zipline? Ha ha! I've never done a zipline. I can't try new things with 50 people watching me. I don't know what would happen if I climbed that pole. I don't know if I'd get up there and be just fine, or if I'd look down and pee myself. And I don't want to find out in front of an audience. The zipline itself is far less scary to me than the thought of everyone watching me and then cheering for me while I stand on a platform with my legs shaking uncontrollably. I can't even tell you how much I would hate everyone down below with their cajoling and their you-can-do-its. 

Along with the zipline, the kids were able to do the camp's challenge course. They had a great time and only had minimal injuries afterward. 

The "big" kids working their way through the spider web

The "little" kids on the team skis

There were lots of crafts to do and games to play. We rode side by sides and played in the river. The kids shot bows and arrows at the archery range. Saturday was full of activities. It was a great family reunion type of experience, and we were absolutely exhausted by the end of the day. 

Some of the kids in the popular camp tree

Most people went home Saturday night, and then it was just us, Scotty's parents, and Scotty's step-brother and his family that stayed through Monday. 

Beginning of the mission vs end of the mission

Yesterday we did some work around camp and got ready to leave. It was our last overnight experience there. We will be going back to help with some equipment at the end of the month, but it will just be a day trip. It was pretty sad pulling out of the gate knowing that our connection to the camp is ending. If we ever go back, it will be as normal guests, and it will be weird. 

The camp became a very special place for us, and we have been very grateful to be a part of Scotty's parents' mission experience. 




No comments: