Friday, September 3, 2021

ABC's of Summer

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #12:

Alphabet

A is for Arcadia Resort in Saint George


In June we got to go on a vacation to Saint George with our extended family. We had a blast, and it was a great way to kick of summer. 

B is for Bryce Canyon

We went to Bryce Canyon for the first time and used Daisy's National Parks Pass (which is now expired). 

C is for Cheerleading


Zoe joined a cheerleading team and practiced all summer. She was in the Magna 4th of July parade. 

D is for Dinner


The night before the kids went back to school, we had a Dr. Seuss dinner. 

E is for Extinguisher


A package of 275 paper plates caught on fire on the kitchen stove. Nicky stood by with the fire extinguisher - just in case - while I tried to smother the fire. Thankfully, we didn't need to use the extinguisher. 

F is for Father's Day Camping


We camped a few times over the summer - including spending Father's Day weekend at the Spruces. 

G is for Garden


We redid our garden this year and tried growing corn for the first time. Our crop mostly failed (our entire harvest is pictured above), but we learned a lot, and we have a list of things to try next year for better success. 

H is for Hiking


We started off the summer with a hike to Timpanogos Cave and then did a few other smaller hikes. 

I is for Injuries

Scotty and Daisy before leaving for Daisy's
first Girls' Camp

Scotty had a couple of injuries this summer. The first happened at Girls' Camp when he went down the big slip n slide and hit his forearm on a rock. He sent me a photo that night of his arm swollen like a baseball. After a few days, he was in a lot of pain, so he went and got it x-rayed after I begged and begged him. It was just badly bruised - not broken, luckily (though I had to secretly hope it would be broken so I would be "right" in making him get an x-ray). His arm was black and blue for a month. 

Then last weekend, while we were camping, Scotty sprained his ankle, so now he has a baseball ankle instead of a baseball arm. 

J is for Jam

I canned some raspberry jam from my in-law's raspberry crop. 

K is for Keg

My step-dad turned 70 this year, so my mom threw a party for him. Complete with a root beer keg.

Did you know kegs are illegal in Utah? Since I don't drink, I don't know these things, but my sister-in-law who works in law enforcement and drinks alcohol teaches me all the things.

L is for Legos at Thanksgiving Point


At the beginning of summer I bought a pass to Thanksgiving Point to keep us busy. We went a lot. I'm so sick of that place. 

M is for Moqui Cave


One of our summer adventures was a hike to Moqui Cave.

N is for Nature


We spend a lot of time enjoying nature in the summer. My kids love to explore and play with sticks. They started building this shelter and plan to finish it before summer is officially over. 

O is for Oars


We love a good lake day! But didn't get enough. 

P is for Pinata

This 70's Disco pinata has been a part of my life all summer. I keep giving it away, and it keeps coming back. 

Q is for Quack

We usually make a trip to Willow Park Zoo in Logan each summer. This year, my kids were enthralled with the baby ducks and were able to get them to eat from their hands. 

R is for Rain


We've been dealing with drought conditions all summer, so every time it rains, we rejoice! Unfortunately the rain has been very destructive, and there have been floods and damage all over the state of Utah. 

S is for Slide

Fr one of our last activities before school started, I took the kids to Park City to ride the Alpine Slide. Then I thought "What the hey!" and we rode the Mountain Coaster, too. 

It was super fun, and now I'm super broke. 

T is for Tool Time

Scotty had to dress up like Al Borland for a work presentation, so he asked me to make him a beard and a Tool Time hat. 

U is for Umbrellas

Every year we go to Tucano's at the Gateway so Scotty can get his free birthday meal. This time we let the kids come.

V is for Very Yucky



Bad air on the first day of school

We've had some really bad air from all the fires. A lot of our photos from the past couple of months are hazy and/or orange tinted. 

Some flowers I like (anyone know what they are?) in the bad air

W is for Water Park


We had season passes to Splash Summit (formerly Seven Peaks). 

X is for Xtra

As in "Daisy doing the splits at the end of the red carpet at Grandma's Back to School Fashion Show is so xtra."

I know. It's a stretch. Just go with it. 

(Stretch. Ha ha!)

Y is for Yardwork


It's never done.

Z is for Zoo


My kids went on a few zoo trips with their grandma, and then we went to the last Sunrise Safari of 2021 a few weeks ago. 

----------------

Now I know my ABC's

Next summer, won't you hang out with me?

No comments: