Monday, March 5, 2018

Scenes I Don’t Like Watching

Last week I finished watching Lost. I did some math and determined how many times I have watched each season:

Season One: 6
Season Two: 7
Season Three: 6
Season Four: 5
Season Five: 4
Season Six: 3

(If you're curious, the reason I have watched some seasons more than others is because when the show was on TV but off-season, I would go back and watch the past seasons in anticipation of the new season. This time I started watching in season 2, which is why it has the most. I skipped season 1 this round because I was trying to catch up to Shannon, who was also watching it).

I love Lost (if you've been around here for a while, you know this), but there are some scenes I struggle watching. It's not a Lost-exclusive problem, though. These are scenes that make me cringe in any show. Lost just happens to have all of them.

The first scene I hate watching is women going into TV labor. You all know what I'm talking about. They have one sharp pain, and suddenly the baby is crowning. I understand that TV births have to be somewhat unrealistic for the sake of moving foward with the plot, but really? You're not even going to let the woman have a few contractions before she has to push? Lost has several labor scenes, all of which consist of, "Ouch! Oh my gosh, it's coming! Push! BAM! Baby."


Thank heaven for Call the Midwife for redeeming TV childbirth.

The next scene I struggle with is the underwater scene. I have a hard time watching them because I feel like I have to hold my breath. The characters are always underwater for much longer than is humanly possible. I'm very aware of the point where I would just give up and inhale, so underwater scenes basically force me to imagine my own death over and over.

In addition to that, I'm claustrophobic and the thought of scuba diving or going on a submarine makes me completely anxious. Lost has a few submarine scenes, and the narrow hallways and the lack of natural light and windows makes my pulse rise. When I watch a submarine dive, I again imagine my death over and over.

(My first time on Finding Nemo's Submarine Voyage was really hard. I almost couldn't do it, but then I reasoned with myself. "Britt, if these windows break, and the water comes in, you can just stand up. You're not fully submerged." Now I'm okay on it, but I don't love it).

I also have a hard time watching MRI scenes due to claustrophobia. And of course, someone needs an MRI in season 6.

The next scene I struggle with is people kissing in the morning. All I can think about is how bad their breath would be. Really? You just roll over and start open-mouth kissing each other? You just woke up! You haven't brushed your teeth! Are there people out there who don't have morning breath?

I am truly asking. Are there?


The last one I will mention today (because I'm sure there are more I haven't thought of) might seem a little odd. It's another kissing thing. It makes me uneasy when heads tilt to the left. I don't mind if they go right and then left, but when they start on the left or stay on the left, I feel like something is wrong.

I first noticed this at my sister-in-law's wedding. When she and her husband kissed, it looked really weird and uncomfortable to me. I kept thinking, "Something is wrong with the way they kiss!" but I couldn't figure out what it was. Later, I saw them kiss again, and I realized that I really wanted their heads to go to the right. That was the problem - they went left!

There are a lot of left kisses in Lost which leaves me wondering if that's the way the actors naturally did the scene or if the director specifically instructed them to go left. There are probably times when going left is better for the camera angle, but it messes with my mind.

Which leads me to my personal mantra to always choose the right!

No comments: