Wednesday, November 16, 2022

A Few Thoughts About Puzzles

Thought #1: I used to think puzzles were stupid. They didn’t appeal to me at all, but then Scotty and I found a puzzle at Disneyland that was a map of Disneyland, and we decided to buy it and try it out. I was surprised to find the building experience very enjoyable! 

I bought this 750 piece puzzle at DI. I absolutely loved this one. 

Thought #2: I legitimately feel like my brain works better when I’ve been working on puzzles. I feel like it sharpens my mind. 

Thought #3: I used to never want to buy puzzles from the thrift store because I was worried about missing pieces. But then, after having so many NEW puzzles that had missing pieces, I thought, “I might as well buy some used ones!”

I bought this 2,000 piece puzzle from DI. It was fun but very challenging. In the end, it was missing 5 pieces and had one piece that wasn’t even part of it!

Thought #4: Fortunately a lot of puzzle companies are willing to replace the puzzles if there is a piece missing. I appreciate that! BUT… I’ve realized, I don’t really want to do the same puzzle again! One company sent me a DIFFERENT puzzle, and I thought that was cool!

(Just to clarify, I don’t submit for replacement puzzles when I buy them from the thrift store. Only when I buy them new, and they are missing pieces).

Thought #5: Most of the time, after we’ve finished a puzzle, we give it away. If you ever want a puzzle, I’ll hook you up! Just say the words, and I’ll be on your front porch with a big grin on my face holding a puzzle from my stash that I picked just for you!

I did not like this puzzle. It made me feel mental

Thought #6: If I buy a puzzle from the thrift store, and it’s missing pieces, I throw it away after I put it together. I do my part to get puzzles with missing pieces out of circulation. 

Thought #7: Every now and then, if a puzzle is really, really good and missing a piece, I will keep it or donate it, but I clearly mark that it’s missing a piece.

Thought #8: I do more puzzles in the winter than in summer. Winter feels like “puzzle season.”

This was another DI find. All pieces present!

Thought #7: I really like Buffalo puzzles. They just have a nice fit! 

Thought #8: I don’t really like puzzles that have cabins and water and dogs on porches. Do you know the type I mean? 

Cats on the beach! What joy! Purchased from DI. All pieces accounted for!

Thought #9: I think my favorite puzzle I’ve ever done was the Costco puzzle. I mean, I wrote a blog post about it and everything!

Another DI puzzle with all the pieces!

Thought #10: Costco has a puzzle with 60,000 pieces for $599. If I ever win the Power Ball, I’m going for it. It’s actually broken down into 60 1,000 piece puzzles. That feels a bit like cheating, but it also makes me feel like maybe I could handle it. I’ll also have to rent an apartment with an open floor plan where I can work on my puzzle for two years straight. 

A very poor photo of another DI puzzle - this one was missing 2 pieces

Thought #11: My happy place - where I am challenged but not overwhelmed - is 750-1,000 pieces. When I’ve been doing a lot of 1,000 piece puzzles, a 750 feels nice and relaxing. I tried to do a 300 piece puzzle the other day, and it wasn’t interesting or fun. 

Thought #12: The image on the puzzle is important. I like to have lots of things and parts that are easy to discern. I don’t mind a little bit of sky and landscape, but it can’t dominate the image. The shape of the pieces also matters. I would not enjoy a puzzle with uniform pieces. 

This one is from my friend Julie. 

So… when can I bring you a puzzle?

No comments: