Tuesday, July 26, 2022

I Love New Socks (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: I haven't had any food delivered to my house since Door Dash/Uber Whatevers/Grub Whosits became a thing. My normal preference is hot and fresh food straight from the oven to my mouth, and I don't want to pay delivery fees, so delivery isn't really for me. But on Monday, Scotty and I were going on a date, and I thought it would be fun to have Chick-Fil-A delivered for the kids. 

A few minutes after the food arrived, my kids called and said there were two kids' meals missing. I called Chick-Fil-A, and they couldn't account for the missing meals, but they informed me that my order was the last one they filled before their fryers went down, and that they had actually had to close the store and couldn't make any replacement food. They offered to refund our whole order, including the tip and delivery fee!

Fact #2: Summer is quickly coming to an end. We started back-to-school shopping today. I'm realizing all the things I planned to do this summer and haven't done, and now I'm trying to cram whatever I can into the next three weeks along with finding pants long enough for my giant of a son.

Why we can't shop at IKEA

Fact #3: We normally go to the lake several times during the summer, but this year we've only gone once with our kayaks and once without. I bought some "throwing" paintballs and water balloons that we've never used. I promised (myself) I would give Eva and Zoe laundry folding lessons. I was going to read 100 books with Eva (we have a sticker chart, but instead of reading books, she reads text messages over my shoulder and gives herself a sticker). Our library books sat unused for weeks and weeks. We stopped going to the library and never replenished them. We didn't go on any hikes (which I'm fine with because, as much as I pretend to like hiking, in reality, I suffer). Our bikes are all broken, and we haven't gone camping as a family.

So we'll see what we can fit in before August 18th when the kids go back to school.

What I really want to do is lay in bed and watch TV for three weeks straight, but for the sake of my kids, I'll suck it up and be a parent. 

Fact #4: Zoe is going through a phase where she's suddenly into grappling hooks. She told me she had a vision that she made her own grappling hook. Now she is asking for a grappling hook for her birthday. 

Fact #5: Sadly, I have issues with rope and do not want any accessible for our children. So that makes grappling hooks a difficult request. 

Fact #6: On Monday, Zoe had her first Chaco Taco mere hours before learning that Chaco Tacos have been discontinued. She didn't handle the news well. 

She saved a Chaco Taco wrapper and put it in her "special" box. Our rule with the special box is that I'm not allowed to throw anything away that has been properly stored in the special box. Can't wait to see what it smells like a few weeks from now.

Fact #7: Which reminds me... I roasted a turkey for the 4th of July, and now I know why we do turkeys for winter holidays and not summer. Our garbage can could kill a yak from two miles away after I pressure washed it.

Fact  #8: Yesterday I went to see Where the Crawdads Sing, and I loved it. It's been so long since I read the book that I can't compare the book to the movie for accuracy. But I remember the book annoyed me when I read it because I had a very low tolerance for birds at the time. In fact, my review on Goodreads states, "I can't decide which I like the least - reading about dogs or reading about birds" (August 14, 2019).

Now I probably wouldn't mind the bird talk as much. 

But I still don't need to read any books about dogs.

Fact #9: My interest in birds is complicated. I have learned to appreciate birds since Wingspan came into my life in December of 2019. But sometimes I still find them annoying. Like when they chirrup outside my window for two hours straight every morning. And when the dang quail park their butts in the middle of the street, and I have to stop my van and wait for them to get out of the way. And when the magpies peck at my living room window. 

I'm also annoyed with robins and house sparrows for being so common.

Fact #10: Last week, Christie and I tricked our husbands into wearing the same shirt to go see Thor

Seeing Thor with Christie is always a trip. You never know what's going to come out of her mouth. But it’s usually along the lines of, “Oh, yum!”

No comments: