Wednesday, August 1, 2018

19 Days Until School Starts (and ten other facts about my kids)

Fact #1: Eva chews on her hair. She started doing it as soon as her hair was long enough to reach her mouth. I ended up chopping off her hair last summer so she couldn't chew it anymore. Now it's long again, so she chews it all the time. I'm on the border of "Meh, she'll grow out of it," and "OHMYGOSH my child has Trichophagia!!!"

Fact #2: Nicky eats random things. He will find food at the park - leftover from who knows what - and he will eat it. If it's in the garbage, he will eat it. If it's in a parking lot, he will eat it. I am constantly yelling at him to not eat stuff he finds lying around. I've tried reasoning with him, but it doesn't have any effect. It's to the point where I just have to swat his hand, and yell, "NO!"

And it doesn't have to be food, either! He eats bugs. At a family party, he caught a moth and ate it. He'll pick up potato bugs and pop them in his mouth. He has also eaten Legos, perler beads, and grocery ads (if he's hungry after school, and I stop to get the mail, he will eat the pictures of the food he likes).

Fact #3: Zoe likes to play with fitted sheets and pillowcases. She's always dragging them around the house, and I'm always nagging her to leave them alone. She likes to stuff pillowcases in her backpacks (the kid has a backpack obsession) and put her head in the corner of the fitted sheet so it follows behind her like a train.

Fact #4: Daisy has always struggled with logic. She will argue about anything, no matter how wrong she is. She could be standing in front of a mirror with no pants on, and she would argue that she is wearing pants. And then, when she starts to feel defeated, she'll yell out, "You just don't get it!" or "You don't know anything!"

Fact #5: Zoe loves to ride her bike. She's so fun to watch because she exhibits unadulterated joy when she's on her bike. It's exactly what childhood should be, and it makes me mourn that I'm not raising my children in a world where they can come home from school and spend four hours riding bikes around the neighborhood unsupervised.

Fact #6: Nicky is so much like his dad. He has picked up a lot of Scotty's best traits (and some of his more annoying ones). I hope he stays that way. He has some of my traits too - good ones and bad ones, but a lot of the good things I see in Nicky, he learned from his dad.

Fact #7: Daisy has the most fantastic hair - it's thick and has beautiful natural highlights, but she has never let me touch it without a fight. She hates any type of bun, and she's starting to be anti-braid as well. When I brush it, she yells that she hates me and wants me to die. Most days she puts her hair in a pony tail, and she looks like one of the Hanson boys.

Fact #8: Eva always says to me, "You're so beautiful, Mommy!" in her little, sweet voice. I know she's going to change her mind someday, but for now, I'll soak it in every time!

Fact #9: Nicky makes a lot of annoying sounds, and this is something I've noticed is very common among boys his age. I'm glad it's not just my kid, but at the same time... what the heck?!? Why do they do this? They squeal like pigs, screech like pterodactyls, make popping sounds, and go "UHHHHH!" And they are so stinkin' loud!

Fact #10: Daisy can sing. If she had the opportunity to participate in some kind of choir or music lessons, I think she could learn to use her voice really well. Unfortunately, I don't know how to nurture musical talent... or athletic talent... or any kind of talent, really. Except maybe board game skills. And Daisy won't work hard for anything (a trait she probably got from me).

------------------------------------------

Since it's probably hard to keep track of my kids, their birth order, and their ages, here's the quick guide:

Nicky - 11
Daisy - 8 
Zoe - 5
Eva - 3

No comments: