Sunday, July 30, 2017

Sunday Jams

We always have YouTube going at our house for music, especially when we're cleaning. Scotty and I often choose a theme and then take turns picking the song. Themes are sometimes by artist - Michael Jackson, *NSYNC, Rascal Flatts. Other times they are by genre - contemporary country, oldies, musicals. We also do decades - 80's, 90's, whatever you call the decade from 2000-2010 (no, really, what do we call that? Early 2000's?)

Often while I'm working in the kitchen, I listen to spiritual/uplifting music (only in the kitchen, though. Strange). Today, since it's Sunday, I thought I'd share some of the songs I often listen to.

In no particular order, here are ten songs I frequently play from YouTube when I need a spiritual uplift. As I chose the videos to share, I realized that one of the commonalities all of these songs have is that I LOVE singing them. It's not really about listening to them. It's about them being back-up to my kitchen performances. 

#1: Savior Redeemer of My Soul 


What this version lacks is a second voice, and I'm not saying it's pretty, but I provide it!

#2 Glorious



This song has not gotten old to me yet. This one comes with dance moves. 

#3 Simple Gifts/Somewhere Over the Rainbow


This one starts out light and simple, but the power comes at 2:40 when Jon and Steve are suddenly on the set of LOST. 

I don't sing this one since it's instrumental, but I've been known to conduct it. 

#4 Come Thou Fount/How Great Thou Art


Two favorite hymns playing off each other. 

#5 My Little Prayer


I like this song because it talks about how our relationship with God evolves through prayer. 

I like to do yoga moves to this song in my kitchen.

#6 I Know That My Savior Loves Me


I actually really love the arrangement by Ryan Murphy that the Mormon Tabernacle sings. Altos have the melody, which is always a treat (I usually sing alto).

#7 Come Thou Fount/If You Could Hie to Kolob


I love this unusual mashup. 

#8 She Put the Music in Me


I love the way Callie Reed intertwined titles and lyrics from primary songs in this one. 

This song makes me cry.

#9 Angels Among Us


The original version by Alabama, is where it's at (gotta love that piano), but this version adds a unique harmony. 

#10 I Need Thee Every Hour


This is one of my favorite hymns (future blog post on favorite hymns?) I'm always on the hunt for good covers of my favorite hymns. Anthem Lights puts out some good music... including covers of my 90's boy bands. Can't go wrong with that!

No comments: