Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Graduation: A Journey Across Four States

We just got back from my graduation in Idaho.

We had a busy week of travel, fun, and chaos.

The journey began in Star Valley, Wyoming where we spent the weekend at a cabin with some friends. My phone was dead almost the entire time, so I didn't get many pictures, but there was a lot of this going on:


And some of this:


And before the end, we all gathered around my double chin for a photo:


When we left Star Valley, we headed to Yellowstone for a couple of days. 

Our final stop was in Rexburg where I stepped foot onto the BYU-Idaho campus for the first time. 


I affirmed that I still suffer from "University Phobia." I masked my fears by holding my head high and acting like I knew where I was going at all times. I was a total imposter, and after I got lost walking from one building to another, I reassured myself that it was fine because I burned twice the calories. Never mind the fact that I had a sweat spot the size of a textbook on my back. 

Our first stop at campus was just to scope out the area so we would know where to go the next day. I experienced the campus safely from my van. I think I spent most of the tour griping about how there aren't big signs on the buildings. This is one of my biggest issues with Universities. They have these huge campuses with a million buildings and teeny tiny little signs that say, "Gordon B. Hinckley Building."

After our campus visit, we cruised around Rexburg for a while, picked up a pizza, played at a park, and got some ice cream. Then we headed to Idaho Falls where we stayed the night. 

The next day, we hung out at the hotel for a while. Then we went back to campus so I could get my name card and tassel for graduation. I stopped in the bookstore, and I have to say... University bookstores are awesome! My friend Shannon clued me in on this, and my experience in the BYU-I book store totally won me over. I only had a few minutes to browse since my family was waiting for me in the car, but I could've easily walked out of there with armfuls of clearance merchandise. I settled for a t-shirt and a hoodie, plus a hoodie for a fellow graduate who wasn't able to come.

We also took the time to snap some photos, which was genius because that evening, there were lines of people waiting to get pictures by the BYU-Idaho sign.

(There were so many times throughout this trip when Scotty and I turned to each other and said, "Whoa! We timed that perfectly!" This was one of those times). 

After our campus visit, we headed to Big Jud's for lunch. Scotty has dreamed of eating at Big Jud's for 14 years. Over the past three years, Scotty has made it clear that if I was going to go to graduation, we were going to eat at Big Jud's, and he was going to get the 2 lb burger. I obliged.

Here is the 2 pounder and the basket of fries it came with next to my burger. This picture doesn't do it justice at all. 


Here is the wedge Scotty cut for himself. Note that it's being held by the gigantic hand of a 6'2" man.


And here is Nicky's wedge on a 6" plate:


It was fun! And delicious! And the basket of fries could have fed our family for three days. 

Within ten minutes of leaving Big Jud's, something horrible happened. I can't tell you what it was. I am going to write the story for safekeeping, but I don't know if it will ever be posted here. For now, I will refer to it as "The Incident."

We were supposed to meet my mom at Yellowstone Bear World at 1:00, but The Incident held us up for a while. After some crazy ninja improvising we made it there. 

Oh my goodness. Bear World. 

In doing research for this trip, I heard nothing but good about Bear World, and it delivered! When we first walked in and saw a pen of cubs, I was sold. If I hadn't seen anything else, it still would've been worth it.

Because baby bears! Squee!

That is, until I saw one pee all over itself. 

Animal Kingdom, why you gotta be all gross with your pee?

Luckily I forgot about the pee after an hour, and the cubs were cute again. 

We did the curator tour, and it was worth the money. I tried to get some pictures of the bears, but then I thought, "I'm not going to waste this experience trying to take photos!" (you know that whole, "Put the camera down and enjoy the experience" thing? I did that!) But here's one little glimpse of the cuteness:


The bears would come sit next to the truck on their bums and wait for food. If you threw it just right, they would catch it in their mouths. Some would stand up right next to the truck. It was adorable! And when they saw the truck, they'd come running. It was the best!

There was also a petting zoo. There were two fawns there that were adorable, and as I am wont to do, I made buddies with a goat. 


I seriously love goats. They are my fave!

After Bear World, we had to do more work as a result of The Incident, and then Scotty dropped me off at campus for commencement. 

Commencement is the ceremony where all of the graduates gather to listen to speakers. We had a processional, so I had to go line up with the College of Education and Human Development. I did that thing where I walk around pretending I know where I'm going, but I'm really just following people who look like they know where they're going and hoping that no one has chosen to follow me

I'd made a lot of friends in my three years at school, but I hadn't met any of them in person (I was supposed to go to lunch with a friend from my stats group who was visiting from Georgia last year, but I ended up with a vomiting child that day - I'm still sad about it) so I was excited to see who would be the first official classmate I'd meet. It ended up being LaDawn from my advocacy group. When I walked into the BYU-I Center, I saw her walk past and I ran up behind her and put my arm around her (luckily it really was her. Eek!) She was there for her daughter's graduation, so we visited for a minute and then had to part ways.

I went into the gym where we were supposed to line up. I was there early (because that's how I roll) so I walked to the drinking fountain all fake-confident and whatnot. Then I saw a comfy chair right outside the door, so I went and sat down and looked at "Your mom goes to college" gifs (because that's how I roll).


After a while, I secured my fanny pack under my gown (because that's how I roll) and walked back into the gym and got in line. As I was standing there, one of my classmates came and stood right across from me, and we stared at each other for an awkward amount of time before both our brains kicked in. Then it was like we'd always known each other. A few minutes later, another classmate joined us, and it was like we'd been friends our whole lives. It was so amazing to meet so many people who have gone through this experience. 


Commencement was wonderful. The speeches were meaningful, and there was a great spirit there. 

My family didn't come to commencement because I didn't think it would be good to bring four kids to commencement and convocation, so I was there by myself, and it was nice to have some time to pause and reflect on the last three years of my life. 

After commencement, I walked to another building for convocation (that may have been the point where I got a little lost). Convocation was the ceremony where we went with our individual colleges, and our names and degrees were read and we were given our fake diplomas. 

It was so inspiring to see all of the different people receiving degrees. There were old and young, married and single, men and women. I was so humbled to see a father and son graduating together! There was something truly special about the people who were a little older - those who have a little more life experience behind them. You could tell that they value their education in a different way. 

The convocation itself, I have to admit, was kind of weird. I'm really glad I went to commencement - I almost didn't - because convocation was a little disappointing. The name readers weren't very good. They messed up so many names (mine included, even though I spelled it phonetically and told them how to say it right before they announced it). There was a little bit of a feeling of "we do this all the time, so we're bored with it" from those conducting the ceremony. Commencement, on the other hand, had much more of a "this is important" feeling (even though those involved in that ceremony also do this all the time).

I walked awkwardly across the stage, shook hands with a bunch of strangers, and then it was done.




It hasn't set in yet. I haven't felt a flood of emotions like I thought I would. Is it coming? Will I feel something? Ever? I mean, it felt nice being at commencement, and it felt nice meeting people, but I haven't felt what I thought I'd feel. 

I just need to tie up a few lose ends with my internship, and then I'll be left to navigate this big change. I think I'll be a little lost for a while.

I'm glad I went, and it was fun to get a little summer vacation out of it.

I'm so grateful for all those who have supported me and helped me along the way. The list is innumerable! It's said that it takes a village to raise a child. It also takes a village to get a degree while raising a child... or four. 

Thanks to my really big village, I did it!

No comments: