Thursday, November 26, 2015

I'm Thankful For...

This Thanksgiving season, I've been trying really hard to be thankful for my body. About a year and a half ago, I wrote a post about things I love about my body. A lot has changed since them, mostly the result of having another baby. Since then, my appreciation for my body has waned, so for the past month, I've been working on getting myself back to a place where I truly appreciate my body and understand its sacred nature.

Our bodies can do so many amazing things that it's easy to take them for granted. Scotty and I have a friend who recently went into remission after a battle with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. As a result of his chemotherapy treatments, he lost the feeling in his finger tips and began to struggle with simple tasks like opening a package of crackers or taking the lid off toothpaste. I think we fail to realize that something as mundane as the ability to grip is actually a very prominent skill. Seeing our friend struggle with something that comes so easily to us has really opened our eyes to the types of things our bodies can do. We never really know what we have until it's taken away.

So on this day of gratitude, I want to make sure I give proper thanks to God for the body He gave me, and I want to make a commitment to treat it better, speak of it with more respect, and worry less about its imperfections because even though it has flaws, my body is amazing!  

May 2014

1 comment:

Catherine Buhler said...

You are beautiful! I know the feeling of having a post-baby body but you look amazing and you have FOUR. seriously, you are awesome. Don't be so hard on yourself.