Friday, July 18, 2014

What's Not to Love?

I hate to admit that I suffer from any sort of body image struggles. I'd like to think that I'm above all that and that I don't scrutinize my body or wish it were different. I'd like to say that I'm happy with my body just the way it is and that I have no issues with my weight or my squishy places.

But alas, I'm not quite there.

Any yet, I know better, so today I've been thinking about some of the things I love about my body.

My hair - I really can't complain about my hair. It's good hair. If all else fails, my hair can save the day.

My eyes - they're blue and sometimes bright.

My legs - this is a hard one because I often forget that my legs are loveable. Sometimes I zone in on their flaws and I get fooled into thinking they're not good enough, but this amazing thing happens when I go to the gym; there's a machine I use in the weight room that engages every muscle in my legs. When I look down, they are so muscular and strong that I just stare at them in awe and think These legs are incredible! I love these legs!

My flip-flop tan lines - I know that's a stretch, but I always enjoy having tan lines on my feet. 

My top teeth - they are very straight, and reliable at chewing (always a plus when teeth are involved!)

My hands - there's not much to say about them other than they work well, and I'm happy with them.

My ears - this is a hard one, too, because I've struggled with my ears in the past. They poke out. They're not as noticeable now because my face is a little more filled out, but when I was a teenager, my ears were very obvious, and I was sometimes made fun of - "Gee, Britt! I bet you can hear fire engines before anyone else!" (Thank you, adult male boss. How mature of you!) But now I understand that pokey-outey ears are part of who I am, and I love having a feature that not everyone else has.  

Now, I can look back on this list and still see my struggles in there (my top teeth only qualify for my love because they are straight. Shouldn't I love them, straight or not?), but at the same time, there are areas where I'm beginning to overcome the worldy demands of beauty, such as with my legs and ears. It will be an ongoing battle.

Several weeks ago, this picture was taken:

Motivation

(The motivational quote was part of my "mental preparation" for the Spartan Race... long story).

When I posed for that photo, I was concerned about being gym-fresh, my hair not being done, and having no make-up on, but when I looked at it later, I realized I shouldn't have worried. That picture is of ME. It's really, truly, ME! And I'm not hiding behind anything (index card aside). 

And I look FINE. Happy, even. 

If that's how I were presented for all the world to see, I would be okay with it. 

So onward and upward I go as I continue learning to love this incredible body that God has given me.

3 comments:

Lindz said...

This is a great post! Good for you, seriously. Also, there's something to be said for that post-workout glow and how great you feel about yourself. I often find that I am more forgiving and confident even, in how I look knowing that I just did something for myself, to improve (or maintain) my health and that if I'm sweaty - that's a good thing. Great picture!

Feisty Harriet said...

I love this. Two of my favorite features have always been my (feisty) green eyes and my long, strong, piano-player hands. I need to remember that more often.

Also, I love that photo of you, both the post-work-out state, the confidence, the card, and the bravery in posting it here as well. I need more of that in my life.

xox

EriKa said...

Agree...this is a great photo and title!