Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Dirty Dash

Yesterday's post made me realize that I never mentioned anything in the blogging world about the Dirty Dash. The World At Large probably doesn't care, but for my own memories, here is my Dirt Dash re-cap:

Last Fall, Scotty's work entered their employees in the Dirty Dash. I wanted to do the run with Scotty really bad, but I had another commitment, so he went by himself. As the spring event approached, I kept toying around with the idea of entering, but since we had so many other things going on in June, and the event isn't exactly cheap, I talked myself out of it over and over. Then when it came time to buy Scotty an anniversary gift in May, I had a justified reason to sign up for the Dirty Dash.

I made all of Scotty's dreams come true... I got him something dirty for our anniversary!

Part of the reason I wanted to do the Dirty Dash was so I could have a little mud experience before the Spartan Race. I wanted to test-run my clothes and get acquainted with the sensation of running in caked shoes. Our local Dirty Dash and Spartan Beast happen to be held at the same venue, so it worked out perfectly. I got to experience the exact mud I would face in the Spartan Race (which, if your curious, is sticky, gooey, clay-ish stuff).

The Dirty Dash is six miles (with the option of doing only three) (but why would you do only three?) It's not timed, and, at first, I didn't like that it wasn't timed, but when I got out there and started having fun, I realized that I didn't want it to end. This is an event to take slowly. Savor the fun. Laugh and socialize. Take time to enjoy it.

The Dirty Dash is no place for pace!

The obstacles were a riot! There were several mud pits, inflatable slides, walls to climb, hay bales to jump, and lots of fire hoses making everything wet and slick.

The best part was when we hit the half-way point, and they were handing out cookies and powdered jelly donuts.

That's my kind of event!

One of my worries when I signed up was that I would discover that I hated mud. When I jumped into the first mud pit, and my shoes came out weighing ten extra pounds, I had a brief moment where I thought, "This is not good!" But I got over it quickly! I was so happy to discover that I have no qualms with mud. Throw me in it. Roll me around in it. Weigh me down with it. I don't care!

Dirty Dash

The Dirty Dash was the perfect date for us. Next time, we're dragging the kids along for the fun!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Wow, six miles, I'm impressed. I did a similar race/obstacle course that was 5K and I was completely wiped out by the end.