Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Adventures in the Fairy Forest

Last weekend, we had a fun vacation with Scotty's family in Park City. For one of our activities, we went on a small hike to the Fairy Forest up Mirror Lake Highway.

Let me preface this by saying I am kicking myself for not taking my "real" camera. I had every intention of charging the battery and getting some great photos of our weekend, but in the hustle and bustle of getting packed, I completely forgot my camera. I remembered when we were about 20 minutes away from home. Scotty kindly offered to turn around and go back home to get it, but I settled for the cell phone.

Sigh...

All that is to say that the following pictures are very unimpressive.

The Fairy Forest is hard to explain, partially because I don't really know how it came to be. It's a place in the Unita mountains where people take painted rocks and well... leave them. You can easily spend hours there looking at rocks.

Yep. Rocks.

With Paint.

Here are some of the things we saw in the Fairy Forest (and by "some" I mean .01%. Rounding up).

{Giant Mama Turtle}
Fairy Forest

{Loving Father Penguin}
Fairy Forest

{Shiny Star Wars Characters}
Fairy Forrest

{Proselyting Mormon Missionaries}
Fairy Forrest

{A Bowling Alley}
Fairy Forest

{A Gathering of Minions}
Fairy Forrest

{Vast Varieties of Fairy Housing}
Fairy Forrest


And so much more.

There is a lot to see.

Our family painted a bunch of rocks to take to the Fairy Forest. My kids loved it. One of my contributions was this commemorative Pioneer Day rock (since we were vacationing over Pioneer Day - July 24):

Fairy Forrest

Which was added to a collection of holiday-themed rocks my sister-in-law painted.

Fairy Forrest

(I also did the 4th of July rock - impressive, right?)

This rock was mine, too:

Park City

And I thought it was kinda, sorta cute until hours after leaving the Fairy Forest when I realized that there is an icon in Instagram that looks just like that

(Do you see how heavily social networking is infiltrating our lives? I can't even paint a dang rock without proving how brainwashed I've become!)

But at least I could hold it like this and be all, "Look! I'm speaking loving words!"

Park City




















But now my affectionate conversation rock is in the forest, and there is a lovely ladybug rock speaking loving words.

(Do you see how the formatting of this post is all wonky? I could stay up late and fix it, or I could go to bed. I choose bed!)

Loving word of the day: Goodnight.

1 comment:

Feisty Harriet said...

How charming! I've never heard of this!!

xox