Monday, July 14, 2014

Putting Down My Cheese

For as long as I can remember, I have always had a very intense physiological response to the scene in Disney's Cinderella where Gus Gus is about to be attacked by Lucifer the cat. If you recall, Gus has gathered a stack of cheese to stash away - he has plenty to carry, but he sees one more piece and tries to pick it up even though his arms are full. Meanwhile, Lucifer is ready to pounce, and Gus is too distracted by his cheese to notice what's going on around him.

The scene makes my heart race, and my hands begin to sweat. Even now, as an adult, I still hate watching Gus Gus struggle to carry his cheese. I hope every time that he will just leave that one piece of cheese behind and get out of there! It's the sensible thing to do. One piece is all it takes.



I'm finding myself in a place right now where I can't decide what to do with my own cheese. I keep thinking that my arms can stretch just a little bit further, and I can carry one more piece, but when I try to position the stack under my chin, all the cheese goes flying.

It's one thing to sit back and holler at Gus Gus to put down the dang cheese, but it's another thing to have to put down my own cheese, especially when I really want the cheese. And I think I deserve the cheese.

I get it, Gus Gus. I really do.

(But seriously, dude. Just put the cheese down!)


2 comments:

Cheyenne and Seth and Co. said...

Wow. I love this! This is what I feel like exactly. Like every day lately. I feel like I'm stretching and trying to get all the cheese on my arms all day long and I inevitably drop them all. And look around figuratively each night at all my scattered cheese. Sigh. I need this talk more and more these days...My dear brothers and sisters, we would do well to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most. Let us be mindful of the foundational precepts our Heavenly Father has given to His children that will establish the basis of a rich and fruitful mortal life with promises of eternal happiness. They will teach us to do “all these things … in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that [we] should run faster than [we have] strength. [But] it is expedient that [we] should be diligent, [and] thereby … win the prize.” (Of Things That Matter Most, Pres. Uchtdorf) Anyway...thanks so much for such a vivid reminder to put down my own cheese. I needed that tonight :)

k said...

Lucifer is still one creepy cat. My goodness.