Friday, July 11, 2014

Eight Years

Almost eight years ago, I had my first baby. Today I was thinking about what my life was like at that time - in 2006, to be precise. Life can change a lot in eight years, not to mention society in general.

When Nicky was born...

...I had dial-up internet.

...I had an "emergency only" cell phone (with no text messaging, mind you).

...People used MySpace, not Facebook (I used neither because of the dial-up internet).

...No one knew what a blog was (I happened to have one and often referred to it as "my web site" because people didn't "get it").

...The only people who read blogs were bloggers, so all comments came from people you didn't know.

...I got comments on my blog.

...People used palm pilots - there were no tablets or e-readers. Even lap tops weren't very common.

...I had just barely switched from a film camera to a digital camera.

...I had a Juno e-mail account (actually, I still do - it's my junk mail address).

...Everyone still had landlines.

...We still used phone books.

...The thrift store was a lot cheaper and hardly anyone shopped there.

...We spent $130 a month on groceries.

Eight years. That's all. It's almost scary to think of where we might be in eight more years with how fast technology is changing.

2 comments:

Lindz said...

Ugh dial-up! Holy cow, I remember those days... and being one of those commenters. Recently went private but would love to add you to reader list if you're interested. email me your email address at lindzhamilton@gmail.com

Cheyenne and Seth and Co. said...

I love the..."I got comments on my blog." So so true. That was fun :)