Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Do Tell: Life Roles

For the class I'm taking in school right now, I have to watch a lot of videos about study skills, time management, goal setting, and whatnot. All of this has taught me one thing: I am an unmotivated slacker.

I'm not trying to be mean to myself. Truly, if I compare what these videos teach to what I am actually doing in life, I'm a waste of flesh.

So, thanks for that, higher education.

Yesterday's video talked briefly about life roles. It said that each person should have 4-7 life roles at any given time. If we have more than that, we have probably taken on too much. It didn't tell me what happens when we have less than that, but it's probably along the lines of being an unmotivated slacker, like myself. Fortunately, this is one area where I actually have it right - according to the video.


I am a wife. I share my life with someone I love. We make decisions together, spend time together, and take care of each other.

I am a mother. I am raising three (soon to be four) children. I discipline, I teach, I nurture, and I carpool. I also wash lots and lots of underwear and prepare lots and lots of meals.

I am a student. I study, I do assignments, and I take tests.

I am a Mormon. I have committed myself to a faith. I believe. I worship, I pray, I study, and I seek answers.

I am a Primary President. I take care of the children's organization in my ward. I go to meetings, I prepare and teach lessons, I visit the children, I plan baptisms, I promote reverence, and I know lots of primary songs.

I am a fetus grower. This role comes and goes quickly, but while I take on this role, it is a very big part of my life. I get sick, I get tired, I feel uncomfortable, I take vitamins, I surrender my body, and I pee. A lot.

I don't really know where the line is drawn between actual "roles" and "things that are a consistent part of our lives but aren't roles."

What would you call those things? Less than roles?

My <roles would be things like: runner, gamer, birthday poster maker, and blogger. Perhaps extended family roles would also fall into this category: sister, daughter, etc.

What would you consider your life roles right now? How about your <roles? Do tell!

No comments: