Thursday, November 14, 2013

Candidate for Runner

I never thought I'd become a runner. I still don't know at what point I'm supposed to take on that title officially, but with or without the title... I run.

Back in May, I ran a mile for the first time in my life. It was really hard, and it took months of training. For just one mile. 

In August I ran an entire 5k for the first time (I had previously "walked fast" in a few 5k's). It was hard, and it didn't help that the first mile was on that hill that goes up to Primary Children's Hospital AND it was 100 ° outside. I visualized myself collapsing on the side of the road at least a dozen times, and as Scotty and I approached the finish line, my thoughts were along the lines of I #&% HATE THIS!!! I didn't think I could ever do it again. But then...

In September, I went to Colorado and ran three 5-mile legs in Ragnar.

Two weeks later I ran with one of my best friend in her first 5k:

Color Me Rad

Last week I did a five-mile run with the same friend (her first five miles! So proud of her!)

1012489_10201598072606229_669417826_n

I never thought I'd see the day when I could run five miles. I can run more than five miles now, but I usually only have enough time to get five in. I've worked really hard, and I've had to really push myself out of my comfort zone. I'm pleased with my efforts and wish I could see the look on the faces of Britts Past had they heard the news that in 2013 I'd be a candidate for the title of "Runner."

(Britts Past never would have believed it).

Even more unbelievable is the fact that I actually like it. I never thought I would enjoy running - it's something I forced myself into - and here I am declaring that I like running.

Seriously, who is this person? What's next... yoga?

(I HATE yoga!!! Boo to that!)

4 comments:

heidikins said...

Woot woot! You go, girl!

xox

Katie Marie said...

Surprise! Still around, just being all... not blogging and stuff.

I have been running for years, 6 days a week, a couple half marathons a year and I still don't consider myself a "runner". I think its because I don't buy fancy running pants.

Regardless, yay for you! I think us non-runners enjoy it more. Because to us it is just a hobby, a fun outdoor activity. To those athletic types it's all legit and stuff.

Amy Sorensen said...

If you run, you are a runner! Even without fancy running pants, but they do make running more fun.

I'm so happy you are a runner. Now we just need to convert Janeece and Apryl and Jeannette and we'd have half a relay team! I already have our team name picked out: Bookin' It.

You in???

Stacey said...

Yay! It took me a long time to admit I was a runner too. Mostly because I also spent so much time declaring how crazy runners must be. Now I just have to tell people that I have fully embraced the crazy. But how awesome is it to be able to go out and just run five miles?!? It is seriously cool, I must say. And, I had to sign up for a turkey day 10K, because a 5K is too short. Go runners!