Monday, September 2, 2024

Three Trips Down Memory Lane

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #26:

Way Back When 

For Labor Day we spent a few hours organizing our garage. We do this a few times a year, and it never keeps. Our household has a constant battle with “stuff.” But that’s not what I’m here to write about. 

I’m here to write about way back when… as inspired by a box of photos I found in my garage during the aforementioned cleaning session.

Way back when I was 8 years old…


My mom took me to Glamour Shots. These are just two of the many fabulous proofs that came with my photo package. People were kind of critical of my mom for taking me to get dolled up and photographed, but I LOVED it and felt like a million bucks. 

Way back when I was in high school…

I was on the dance team, and for one of our costumes, we cut the crotches out of panty hose and stuck our heads through the holes and wore them as cropped tops. 

And those jeans? We had to cut those holes ourselves! No one wore holey jeans on the regular back then, let alone bought them that way. 

Way back when I got married…

Scotty and I were standing in the reception line when my cousin Brad came and got me and told me he wanted to dance with me. I thought it was really weird. I didn’t plan on any special dances (even though we had a DJ). I was kind of embarrassed because my cousin and I were slow dancing to some random love song, and everyone waiting in line to greet us had just been ignored and abandoned. 

Then the song turned off, and “I’m Too Sexy,” started playing. A bunch of guys wearing sunglasses started dancing around me with silk roses in their teeth… my cousins and brothers of all people. It ended up being pretty darn funny, and I had no idea it was going to happen. This was my mother’s doing. Yes, the same mother who took me to Glamour Shots when I was eight. 

These things are pretty common nowadays in the post-flash mob era and reign of social media, but back then, it wasn’t common. It was quite the scene!


No comments: