Monday, December 7, 2020

Zoe's Baptism

Zoe was baptized on Saturday. 

I never imagined that our children's baptisms could be affected by a pandemic, but here we are! Because of the COVID restrictions, we could only have our immediate family and our Bishop there. Everyone else participated via Zoom. It was definitely different than Nicky and Daisy's baptisms, but the differences didn't take away from Zoe's special day.


When Daisy was baptized, I decided to invest in a baptism dress. I always imagined I'd get baptized in a dress, myself, so when I got to the church and had to put on the zip-up jumpsuit for my own baptism, I was sorely disappointed. I figured with three daughters, it would be fun for them to all be baptized in the same dress, so that made it worth it to buy our own. 

Zoe's was the first baptism for the day, which is always nice because that's when the water is warmest. When it was time for her to be baptized, I took her through the dressing room to enter the font. I had Eva with me as well, and as Zoe stepped into the water, I was trying to position Eva on the stairs with me so we could watch the baptism. I was distracted by Eva, so I didn't find out until later that Zoe refused to get into the font because there was a dead fly in the water. 

I had wondered if Zoe would actually get baptized or if something would prevent her from doing so. Between COVID and Zoe's personality, in general, I wouldn't have been one bit surprised if we'd had to postpone. So if a fly in the water had been the culprit, I would have just shrugged and said, "Figures." 

Fortunately, Zoe was okay with the font as soon as Scotty scooped out the fly. The ordinance went forward, and when Zoe came out of the font, and I wrapped her in her towel, she had the sweetest smile on her face. 


I helped her change out of her wet baptism dress and into her dry baptism dress. I planned on having all of my girls wear the dress that I made out of my wedding dress, but it was way too big for Zoe, and I wasn't up for the challenge of taking it in, so I bought her her own dress. 


After the baptismal ordinance, Zoe was confirmed by Scotty. He gave her a wonderful blessing. 

At the close of the event, Zoe got to say hello to everyone on Zoom. Then we went out to lunch - just our family. 

Later that day, Zoe told me she wanted to get baptized again. I'll take that as a sign that she had a good day and is happy with her decision to be baptized. 

2 comments:

Jo said...

Pandemic boils our ordinances down to the real essential. Glad she loved it. You and your hubby are a great parenting team. Thanks for sharing pictures of your lovely day.

Amy said...

I hadn't realised that Nicky was as tall as you now!! He's getting so grown-up!

These are wonderful photos, I'm so glad the day went well. Zoe's dress is lovely.