Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Thoughts About...

...Push-ups

You may recall that in September I set a goal to do 2,000 push-ups by the end of the year. I'm well on my way to that goal, but in order to meet it, I will need to average 42 push-ups a day through December 31.

When I started this goal, I couldn't do push-ups on my toes because my elbow felt like it was going to explode. I did the first 500 on my knees to build up strength, and then I was able to start doing them on my toes, but I could only do 3-4 at a time. Now I've successfully done 25 reps in a row three times. Thus far, the only way I can measure my progress is by how many push-ups I can do in a row. I hope someday I'll be able to see a difference in my arms, shoulders, or back. But for now, it's all about numbers. 

Even though I'm stronger now, push-ups are funny. There are times I can pump out 15-20 with no problem, and there are times I can hardly do three. Today is one of those days where I can only do 3-5 at a time. 

Last night I spent some time researching proper push-up form. I want to make sure I've been doing them right. There are mixed opinions on form, but I found a few notes of general consensus. Depending on whose opinion I follow, I may need to reposition my arms a bit. Today I tried a slight change in position. 

Whoa, Nelly. That hurt. 


..."Pooh-poohing"

Speaking of goals, I recently decided that I want to stop pooh-poohing everything. I find pooh-poohing to be a very unattractive practice, and yet, I am a major pooh-pooher.

(If my dad is reading this right now, I can guarantee he has at least ten poop jokes running through his head, and he can hardly contain himself).

I also want to share my opinion less and stop being annoyed by so many things. The most common message I receive from the Spirit is, "Don't say anything." I'm amazed at how often I'm caught when I'm about to say something I shouldn't.


...Winter Recess

Twelve more days until my kids go back to school. 

Do I sound like a mean mom who hates her kids? Cuz I don't (you know that, right?) I just have a different level of exhaustion with my kids right now than I usually do. Okay, yes, I whine every year when they are home for long periods of time, but this year? This COVID-laden year? They have been home so much, and I have utilized every amount of energy and creativity possible to keep them busy from the moment they dismissed school in March. Here at the end of 2020, there's just nothing left. 

I asked Scotty to take next week off work. This will be a new experience. Scotty doesn’t take time off work to just be home. I have no idea what it will be like to spend a week together at home. The last time that happened was the week after Nicky was born. 

With my luck, Scotty will end up with COVID that week. I guess the bright side is, in that case, he can use sick leave instead of vacation time.

No comments: