Sunday, December 20, 2020

More Christmas Things

Fifteen more days until my kids go back to school. 

Not that I'm counting down or anything. 

My kids are hard at Christmas time. I remember when Nicky was about to turn 9 (his birthday is two days after Christmas), his attitude and behavior got so intense, and his anxiety was through the roof. He was terrified and worried about everything, and it was getting unmanageable. I took him to his well-child appointment, and I talked to the pediatrician about it, and, in giving me a list of options on how to move forward, she suggested that it could improve after the holidays. She said that she sees a lot of anxiety and behavioral issues with kids through the holidays, and sometimes it gets immensely better after the new year. I didn't think it would with Nicky, but I decided to hold off on treatment and see. She was right. He became much more manageable a few weeks after Christmas. 

Since then, I've noticed that it happens with one or more of my children every November and December. This year is no exception. All of my kids are being difficult, and one in particular is having some anxiety issues along with the tough behavior. 

I love this time of year, but I also really love when it's over. So I'm excited for Christmas, but I'm also looking forward to having a whole year before it comes again.

Anyway, we've continued doing some fun things for the holidays. We're definitely taking a different approach to our Christmas activities this year, but it's been wonderful and memorable. 

Last weekend we went to Luminaria. We also got to go see Jumanji: The Next Level at a private screening for our nephew's birthday. It was so fun to be in a movie theater again! 

On Sunday we made gingerbread nativities. 

Making nativities - courtesy of Aunt Michelle

Nicky's nativity right before it collapsed in slow motion

Monday was my mom's birthday, so we took her dinner.

On Tuesday, Zoe and Eva had in-studio dance performances. Only one parent could attend. Zoe had a meltdown and refused to do anything the dance teacher asked. Part of me was terribly disappointed. The other part of me knew to expect that (see opening paragraphs).

Daisy by the tree in the dance studio

We've had a mysterious Christmas elf who has left gifts on our porch for the past 17 years. My mom The elf made a drop off on Tuesday night. 

On Wednesday we had Nicky's Board of Review for him to become an Eagle Scout. He passed and will be eligible for the rank of Eagle as of December 29. We'll do his Court of Honor sometime next year. 

Our cute, little Eagle Scout

On Thursday I got to go to dinner with my friends Lynsie and Michelle. My kids went to their aunt's house for Elf Night - an event formulated by Zoe wherein the kids "go to Amber's house and watch a movie and eat popcorn." 

On Friday we went to my in-laws' house for dinner. In lieu of a big family party, they are having each family over for dinner. Scotty smoked a brisket, and then we cooked vegetables and s'mores on a raclette grill. The kids got to have a Zoom meeting with Santa and open presents. Then the kids shared some talents, and Grandma read us some books. 

Cooking veggies & kielbasa while Zoe waves
melted cheese in front of the camera

Zooming with Santa

New pajamas from Grandma & Grandpa

Grandma reading books

On Saturday morning, Nicky and Scotty went ice fishing. 

Nicky reeling one in

While they were gone, I went to the store "for the last time" (a trip I've made at least five times already). I bought some stuff for my kids to make Christmas cards to take to the residents at the nursing home. After Scotty and Nicky got home, we delivered the cards and visited with Scotty's grandma through her window over the phone. 

This is the saddest part of COVID. There are so many aspects of the pandemic I can handle, but this isolation and loneliness for the elderly breaks my heart. 
Visiting Grandma

Delivering cards 

After we left the nursing home, we drove all over Salt Lake just to be out of the house. We found a house with a Charlie Brown photo op, so we stopped to take some photos. 


I'm feeling inspired to make something like this for my yard next year. I just need to figure out how to keep it from getting stolen (a constant battle where we live). 

We drove long enough for the Christmas lights to come on around the city. We drove around Sugarhouse and downtown Salt Lake. There was lots of screaming and fighting. Then, against our better judgement, we went to Cracker Barrel for dinner. 

It's been another week of celebration, fun, and sibling rivalry.

Did I mention that my kids go back to school in fifteen days?






1 comment:

Jana Lyn said...

Your post was perfect for the song that I have running through my head today..."and mom and dad can hardly wait for school to start again!"