Monday, June 15, 2020

Tales of Creatures: Part II

Animals have continued making a presence in our lives over the past few days. My last blog post was Saturday, and on that morning, the eggs in our BIRDhouse started hatching. I was able to see the first bird right after it was born. Then when I checked back a while later, the second one had been born, and the third was trying to get out of its shell.

I noticed that the fourth egg had the tiniest crack in it, so I checked over and over all afternoon to see if it had hatched. We had game night on Saturday, so we were gone for a few hours, and when we came back, I peeked in the birdhouse to see if the final egg had hatched, but the mama was sitting on the babies, so I couldn't tell. I assumed it probably hatched while we were gone, but it didn't! On Sunday morning, the egg was still in tact, and the crack hadn't changed size at all. But a couple of hours later, the baby finally emerged!


It was so cool to see! It was hard to get a decent photo because the babies' heads flop all over the place, and they're in a pile of flesh and fluff, but I have a few video clips that show the baby trying to work its way out of the egg. I am so captivated by this little corner of nature!

That's one nice thing about the starlings - the type of nest they build and their temperaments allow us to peek in on them. The parents are pretty chill about us being around, so for that reason, they are nice tenants. 

After we had the sacrament on Sunday (still at home for us), we went to Scotty's parents' campground. They are serving as missionaries at a church-owned camp. The camp is closed for the summer for coronavirus, but they still need to be there for part of the week to maintain the grounds. We went to visit and make a dutch oven dinner. Scotty's mom has a few HUMMINGBIRD feeders in the trees outside her trailer, and they attract so many birds! There are often 10-12 hummingbirds flitting about from feeder to feeder. 


They are such beautiful birds, and I enjoy watching them. Sometimes they remind me of my kids because they fight with each other like crazy, but they amaze me... also like my kids. 

While we were watching the hummingbirds, Scotty's step-dad was trying to fix something on the bird feeder when he almost stepped on a baby RABBIT. It came hopping out from under his feet, and I nearly died from cuteness overload. 


Bunnies that can fit in the palm of my hand? Yes, please! I'll take a dozen! 

Then, as if that wasn't enough creature goodness for one day, we drove past this GOAT sitting on a picnic table on our way home. 


Goats are my favorite animals, and this is the exact type of scene that makes me love them so much. 

With all the chaos in the world right now, I feel like baby birds, fluffy bunnies, and silly goats are the simple delights that will keep me going. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Baby bunnies ❤️