Thursday, June 11, 2020

Lately

In chalk art...

I've started letting my kids use my chalk supplies. I am equal parts proud of myself and full of regret. I am proud of myself because allowing my kids to use my chalk supplies has resulted in some wonderful artistic moments for them - they've created things that they are proud of, and they truly enjoy the process. I have some pretty darn creative kids! Regret because, as kids are prone to do, they leave the stuff out, and they whine when things don't turn out perfect (and they expect me to solve all their problems. Ariel has a weird nose? Well... that's part of life. We don't all get to have perfect noses). 

Grumble, grumble.

Here are some of our creations from this week (it's been a big chalk art week. Our driveway is an absolute mess! Over the weekend, I need to borrow my in-law's pressure washer to freshen our canvas).

Peppa Pig - drawn by me, colored by Daisy

Mike Wazowski by me

Pumbaa by me

Gus Gus by Daisy

Last Friday, Nicky, Daisy, and I drove to South Jordan early in the morning to check out a small chalk art festival at a park. 

SoJo Chalk Art


In outings...

I'm trying to take my kids hiking at least once a week... for now (once the summer heat hits, I'm sure I'll opt for laying naked under the swamp cooler all day instead). This week we did a short one because we were limited on time. We hit Rocky Mouth Falls. It was a really fun hike; great for the kids - I can't believe we've never done it before! 

Stairs from the parking lot to the upper road

The water fall is flowing really well right now due to the run-off. I've heard it can turn to a light trickle later in the summer, so if you want to go... go now!

This is the stream coming down from the waterfall

Daisy at the waterfall

This week we also made a quick stop by the UP house. 


The kids were fighting like crazy, and I needed to get them away from home so Scotty could do work meetings in peace, so we hit the UP house and played at the park across the street for a little while. It gave Scotty a brief period of quiet.

This week also featured three dentist appointments and one orthodontist appointment. We haven't been to any medical appointments since COVID hit. It was interesting to see the difference between the dentist office and the orthodontist office - which are right across the hall from each other. At the dentist we had to wait in the parking lot, do all of our payments and insurance verification over the phone, wear masks, get our temperatures taken, etc. At the orthodontist they had every chair full and a waiting room crowded with people. No one was wearing masks unless they were working directly in a patient's mouth. Nothing was actually different at the orthodontist. 

After the dentist appointments, we went to the dollar store so the kids could pick out Father's Day presents for Scotty. 

Not a Father's Day present... but almost

Then I ran into Harbor Freight quickly so I could buy a new grabber tool, followed by a stop at Panda Express to use two free kids meal coupons that expire at the end of the month. That was the first time I've been inside a food place since march (it was just take-out. I have no desire to "dine-in" anywhere right now). 

This makes it sound like I take my kids out in public regularly, but I really don't. I only started taking them to public places a couple of weeks ago, and for the most part, it's just been one at a time. We do wear masks. My logic is... if the store employees and and restaurant workers have to wear them, I should be wearing one too, regardless of what I believe about masks and communicable diseases. If a store employee has to spend 8 hours talking and breathing through a mask, I can do it for 20 minutes. At first I really struggled with masks because I'm a bit claustrophobic, but I've worked through it. I still do most of my grocery shopping online, so it's really not that often that I'm in a place to wear a mask anyway. 

My biggest issue with mask wearing is not the discomfort or the inconvenience but the fact that when I smile at people, they don't smile back. I get that you can't see my mouth, but aren't my eyes smiling too? Can't you see the twinkle? It takes a lot of effort for this grumpy looking face to smile at strangers. I need some validation.

(On the other side, I kind appreciate having my chin zits covered. I could be bearded and toothless under that bad boy, and no one's the wiser!)

In baking...

You may recall that one of my COVID goals was to become a better baker. I think I've had some successes, but my baking has tapered off a bit as it has gotten warmer. On Monday it was quite cold and rainy, so it was a good day to bake. I intended only to make a double batch of sandwich rolls, but I ended up also baking two loaves of bread and three dozen cookies. And not just any cookies... cookies with a layer of peanut butter frosting and chocolate ganache. 

Things got a little messy, to say the least.

I am not a tidy baker. Actually, I'm not a tidy anything.

But look! They're all the same size!
Huzzah!

By the time I finished, I never wanted to eat bread or chocolate again. Luckily I got over it and was able to enjoy the spoils by Tuesday. Then I went ahead and made 24 cinnamon rolls that night... because why not?

(This is probably why I often claim I don't like baking - I burn myself out. I can't just bake here and there. I always go crazy and overdo it to the point of hatred! But I think... if I'm gonna bake... I'm gonna BAKE!!! Why make a quick batch of cookies when I can have 36 cookies plus two loaves of break plus 24 rolls?)

(I'm a crazy person, aren't I?)

In orinthology...

Here are our latest birdhouse tenants:


We also have lots and lots of mice on our property right now... which does not fit with orinthology, but if we're speaking of tenants, there are many. We have lots of traps out, including one that Zoe and Eva made. I'll probably post some pictures of it tomorrow. 











1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Do you take your kids hiking by yourself?