Friday, June 5, 2020

Somehow it's Already June (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: This week we forced our kids made a goal as a family to go without TV and video games Monday through Friday (we are going to let the kids watch shows on Friday night - which will be glorious). We needed to do a little electronic detox. I intended to eliminate social media and some of my phone usage as well, but with the protests and other things going on, I didn't want to be that disconnected. 

It's been hilarious and horrifying to see our kids' response to this. Nicky is dying because he wasn't able to watch World of Dance or the new episodes of Fuller House. Daisy keeps saying, "I can't believe I can't watch TV. I just can't believe it!" Zoe and Eva, who I thought would be the worst, haven't really mentioned it much, though I have caught Zoe trying to sneak screens a few times, and she has tried to sweet talk me into letting her play Minecraft. 

Edit: In between the time I wrote this and the time it posted, Scotty and I caved and let the kids watch TV at their grandma’s house because we needed a break from them. Then we let them come home and watch more TV because we still needed a break from them. 

Fact #2: I'm trying to keep the kids active through the summer, which usually leaves me with two options - 1) trick them into physical play or 2) drag them out of the house kicking and screaming and force them to move. This was our short walk the other day. 

Walking: the ultimate plight

Fact #3: On Tuesday morning, I took the kids on a hike to Bell Canyon Reservoir. It's not too long - about 1.5 miles round trip + however much you walk around once you get to the lake. We saw a lot of birds, including baby ducks, and other than arguing profusely about the names of said baby ducks <eyeroll>, the kids were pretty great! I was hoping to get out hiking a few more times this week, but we've been busy with other things, and I will only go early in the morning (this mama hates crowds and heat). 

Piggy backs on the trail

Fact #4: My Instant Pot suffered a tragedy earlier this week. I had it sitting on the stove - a place I commonly leave it without incident - and all of a sudden I smelled burning plastic and saw smoke coming out from under the Instant Pot. I had no idea what was happening, as the Instant Pot wasn't even plugged in. Somehow the burner had heated up. I wasn't using the stove, and the dial was in "OFF" position. I'm not really sure how it happened other than I had been doing dishes, and I was laying some dishes on a towel on the stove, so I must've bumped the dial just so, making it heat up the burner.

Entrails of my Instant Pot

Oops!

There was melted plastic on the stove and on my painted counter tops. I got it cleaned off the stove, but I haven't yet addressed the counter top because I'm not ready to face the fact that my counter top is ruined. Some of it also dripped onto my electric griddle that was sitting nearby, so now when I cook on it, the plastic burns off and stinks up the house.

Fact #5: The other day I was away from home for an hour, and during that time, I wrestled with some disappointments regarding my children. A lot of it had to do with that old thief of joy - I see other parents with children who share their passions and interests. Their children are achieving things mine aren't, and occasionally I compare. On this particular day, I was watching my friend's daughter in her element - doing things I wish my daughter would do. I know that's such a dangerous way to think, but I can't help it sometimes.

I caught myself in that bad mental place and quickly said a prayer to help me be more understanding of my children and to see their good qualities. When I came home, Nicky, Daisy, and Zoe had cleaned the house and left this note for me:

They can't take it back! 
I have photographic evidence that they love me!

Fact #6: The other night, Zoe and Eva cracked us up as they made a trap and tried to catch a chicken. Additional fact: we have a lot of golf balls at our house. 

Golf balls and chicken traps

Fact #7: Last weekend we went "real" (as opposed to "backyard") camping for the first time this year. It was so nice to get away! We didn't have cell phone service, and it was nice to be off-grid for a few days (which is what prompted me to come home and have a screen free week). 

We stayed over two nights, and our kids experienced their first thunderstorms in a tent. We played games, did some service, saw lots of animals and birds, and played in the river. It was really fun and peaceful. 

The river was freezing!

Fact #8: Yesterday our kids had a blast slip-n-sliding on tarps with their friends. The activities my kids enjoy the most always involve some sort of creative use of random supplies from the shed (see photo above wherein Zoe is hiding inside an old pond form - our, as we call it, our swimming pool). 

Graceful Nicky

Elegant Daisy

Fact #9: We have more starling eggs in our birdhouse. Scotty took the perch off the front, which is supposed to help deter aggressive birds, but the starlings moved right in anyway! Our other birdhouse hosts baby sparrows that are almost on their way out. 

Fact #10: If I ever go missing, make sure you check to see if I'm napping behind the laundry. 

Hi! I'm here!


2 comments:

Meshack Amadi said...

Nice 👍 one
Sis Britt

Tiffany said...

So sad about your insta pot. I’d be a wreck!