Monday, June 8, 2020

Currently {June 2020 Edition}

Reading: Mariana by Susanna Kearsley. Over the weekend I read White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo and Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi in an effort to expand my perspective.

Listening to: my five-year-old child laying on the kitchen floor screaming and kicking the cupboards. She has told me no less than 15 times today that she hates me, and it's only 9:09 a.m.

Eating: a bacon, egg, and cheese bagel. It's not great, sadly. I think it's because I don't have any orange juice. A breakfast sandwich just isn't right if it's not being chased down with OJ.

Drawing: Olaf.


I'm still waiting on a delivery of black chalk from Amazon. It was supposed to be here last Thursday. I'm completely out (for Olaf's buttons and eyes, I used the last of a really dark brown). I need black chalk! 

It's raining today, though, so it wouldn't be the ideal day to make chalk art. 

Enjoying: the cool weather today. We've had days in the high 90's this past week, and now it's 40 degrees. Quite the difference! But I am happy to not be sweaty! The heat is not kind to me. I have heat rashes down both sides of my body from last week.

Buying: dutch ovens.


Scotty and I have wanted to get new dutch ovens for a while, so on Saturday, we went shopping. Turns out - dutch ovens are just one more thing that's out of stock everywhere right now. We ended up having to drive an hour and a half to Sportsman's Warehouse in Logan because that's the only place we could find the size we wanted (a deep 12" and 14"). Our dutch oven journey ended up being about 9 hours from start to finish, but it's all good because I got to have Aggie ice cream while we were out. 

When we got home on Saturday night, we did some dutch oven cooking even though we weren't really hungry (we had to take advantage of the Logan fooding opportunities - Logan is a great place to go to eat... and eat... and eat...)

Eating french fries in a Logan parking lot
(because COVID)
on a quilt made with french fry fabric

In our dutch ovens, we made some chicken and veggies and the worst brownies ever!

Craving: Aggie ice cream. Now that it's on my mind, it's not going to go away any time soon. On Saturday I tried "True Aggie Night" ice cream. I never wanted it to end!

Unfortunately, it did eventually end. 

Wearing: leggings with pockets and a Utah hoodie.

Pockets are everything.

Finishing: this stupid puzzle.


Nicky and I started this puzzle a few weeks ago. I'm pretty picky about the puzzles I do. I never would have picked this one - it was a gift. I was so torn because this puzzle made me feel ornery and resentful about leaves and ducks, but I didn't want to be a quitter. Yesterday Scotty helped Nicky and me finish it after I expressed my deep frustration with it.

Feeling: lost and disoriented. I have to say, I preferred living under a stay at home order because I didn't have to make as many choices. Now I have to make decisions every day - can my children play with friends? Are we going to wear masks? Are we going to attend this or that social event? Who are we comfortable being around? What stores and errands are okay for us? What risks are we taking? Do we feel comfortable returning to church?

I hate that COVID choices have become issues of politics and morals, and I hate trying to figure out our COVID values.

Missing: the ease of "going places."

Looking forward to: our next camping trip. I hope we have decent weather.

Annoyed by: my dear, sweet son who follows me around all day and never stops talking. Oh how I love him! But oh how I want to walk into a room without him following me.

Grateful for: water temperature. If we want hot water, we can get it! If we want cold water, we can get it! How spoiled are we?

2 comments:

love.joy.lane said...

Your chalk skills are impressive!!!

Tiffany said...

I love your Olaf!