Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Coronavirus Updates - Day 104(ish)

Update #1: One of the things I hate the most about the coronavirus is how it has affected my condiments. Let's be honest - I eat out at least once a week, and I can't tell you how many times I've pulled away from a drive thru (or curbside pick-up) only to find that I've been given inadequate sauce or the wrong dressing.

This can't go on. It just can't.

Update #2: Since I've been using online grocery ordering for most of my shopping, I've lost my ability to navigate a store. I have been to Walmart a couple of times, and I've started going to Sam's Club again, but until yesterday, I hadn't done any of my routine, weekly grocery shopping "in-person" in months. Yesterday I went to the store for groceries, and I had a heck of a time. I was trying to obey all the stickers and arrows (which weren't there last time I went in the store - that tells you how long it's been), and I couldn't find what I was looking for. I just kept circling around and around - up one aisle and down the other, following the arrows. I couldn't remember where anything was! Plus, lots of things have changed.

Then when I checked out, the cashier prompted me to enter my phone number for my rewards, and I was confused about what she was asking me to do. I had completely forgotten about rewards cards, and I had to think really hard to even remember my phone number (which is our old landline number that we've never updated).

Update #3: Scotty is still working from home. I remember when his boss called to talk to him about working from home. He said to plan on months. At the time, that sounded absurd. Today is Scotty's 70th work day at home. His office is open, and he is allowed to go in, if ever needed, but he hasn't had any reason to go in. His office is in downtown Salt Lake, which is rated orange or "moderate-risk" according to Utah's COVID color code (everywhere else in Utah is yellow or green. Our city is in yellow).

If/when Salt Lake moves to yellow, Scotty's work will wait two weeks and then begin going back to work in "phases" (obviously that hinges on whether Salt Lake stays yellow). Scotty is in the later phases, so we anticipate he won't be going back to work for a long time still.

Update #4: Utah has had a big increase in COVID cases in the past few weeks. For a long time, we had 100-150 cases reported per day, and that stayed pretty steady. It was good to see that the cases weren't increasing exponentially. Now, 350 is a low day, and we had our highest day yet last Friday with over 640 cases (today was 394).

Update #5: In July, Scotty was supposed to go to Washinton DC for three weeks to get the temple ready to re-open. He has been on this project from the beginning and was looking forward to seeing it to the finish (I was also excited to see this project completed, but I wasn't thrilled about having Scotty gone for such a large chunk of time in the middle of summer). We figured the trip would likely be canceled, and last week that was confirmed. Scotty is sad but understanding at the same time. The work is being hired out, which is disappointing to those who have been working on it for the past few years.

Update #6: Our church service started up last weekend. We are assigned to attend the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month. Scotty doesn't want to go back yet. I'm undecided. I feel like the amount of work going into holding sacrament meeting combined with the risks of "gathering" are not worth it, but I have a little bit of FOMO/curiosity. Regardless, we aren't going back until at least mid-July, but who knows what will be going on in the world at that time!

Update #7: I think my kids have changed a lot over the past three months. It's hard for me to see the differences since I'm with them all the time, but people who haven't seen my kids for a while have commented on how different they look. For sure, everyone has gotten taller. Nicky and Zoe especially. Nicky has thinned out a lot and has a different hairstyle. Zoe's hair has gotten longer. Eva's bangs have grown out. When I look back at photos from February and March, I can see the changes.

Update #8: I've said many times that I hope I change for the better during this turmoil. When I started saying that, it was just a pandemic. Now there's so much other stuff going on that I don't even know how to orient myself anymore. I feel completely lost. I can handle COVID life and all its inconveniences. As much as I hate the lack of fry sauce in my take-out bag and having to home school kids and walk a certain way down the grocery aisle, I can do all that.

What I am not handling is the butting of heads between political parties, the vandalism and violence, and the overall feeling of hate and unrest in our nation. I'm experiencing heavy waves of despair and hopelessness - as I imagine all of us are, and it's not depression.

I have changed since this all began, but I don't know if I have improved or become more damaged.

Update #9: Today I went to the DI (thrift store) for the first time since it re-opened. I got some books for my kids (that will end up going right back when they are done with them) and some shirts for Daisy. The supervisor there was really adamant that we stand on the designated stickers while in line. Like, if your foot was even slightly off the circle, he would come tell you to stand inside the circle. It was intense. I've never been so scared of stepping over a line in my life!

Update #10: We got a bidet attachment for our toilet now that they are back in stock. We have the cleanest bottoms on the block! (Assuming we are the only family on the block with a bidet. I'll ask around...)

------------------------------------------------

And now, a few non-coronavirus updates...

Update #1: A while ago I mentioned several instances where I've had to bake things for much longer than the recipes say. Some of you suggested that I get an oven thermometer. I did, and I've been watching the oven temperature closely. My oven sometimes is not at the right temp when it beeps to indicate the pre-heat is done. But other than that, it's pretty accurate. So I've been letting it preheat a little longer to make sure it's up to temp when I put the food in. I haven't used any of the recipes that I had problems with (it was a lemon bar recipe, a roll recipe, and a bread stick recipe. I don't care to make the rolls or lemon bars again, but I'll try the bread sticks again).

Update #2: I started drinking soda again a couple of weeks ago. Scotty and I went on a date to Crown Burgers (yum), and I decided to order a root beer. It was Day 135.

You guys. I cried when I drank it because it tasted so good. I had another root beer the following week, and I got weepy again. Then later that week, I drank a Pepsi, and I just went nuts. I can't drink it in moderation. I love soda. I love Coke. I love Pepsi. I love root beer. It has to be all or nothing for me. So Yesterday was Day One of no soda again. I am now 1.5 days soda sober. Unfortunately, I'm just not a person who can drink a soda once a week or so and call it good. I want it constantly running through my system.



1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Out of curiosity why do you feel that you shouldn’t drink soda? If you love it so much, why don’t you allow yourself to have it sometimes? Maybe not allowing yourself to have any is making you go more crazy when you do have some.