Sunday, February 16, 2020

Valentine's Day Re-Cap

My kids didn't have school on Friday, which meant we had to got to spend Valentine's Day together. Sometimes when my kids are out of school, I attack the day like I'd attack a teriyaki char burger from The Habit. Other times, I lock myself in my room while my kids spend all day fighting, Then when Scotty gets home, I take out all my parenting angst on him.

On Friday, I took the teriyaki char burger approach.

I took my kids out in public and everything!

But first, let me tell you about my tragic Valentine's Day accident. I had good intentions of staying up late Thursday night and decorating my kids' bedroom doors with hearts and loving messages. I also had some fun heart-shaped balloons I wanted to blow up and scatter around the living room floor.

Well... I forgot.

So Friday morning at 6:30 after I got back from my morning walk, I was trying to discreetly blow up balloons in my bedroom. The balloons looked best when they were blown up as big as possible, therefore, maintaining their heart shape. As I was working on a balloon, I grew confident that I could put just a little more air in it.

Yeah... it popped. It made a loud BOOM! which woke up all my kids. The balloon whacked me in the face and snapped both my eyeballs. I fell over backwards on my bed and notified Scotty that I was going to die. It hurt for about five minutes, but I maintained my vision, so there's hope for me yet.

A little later in the morning, we went to the Church History Museum to check out the new children's exhibit "Temples Dot the Earth."


It's really cute. The Church History Museum is free, so keep that in mind if you live nearby and need something to do with the family. 

From there we walked over to Scotty's work for lunch. The cafeteria was giving away free chocolate-covered strawberries, so my girls were ecstatic. We also got free drinks and free fruit. As we were finishing up our lunch, a senior sister missionary came up to our table and insisted on buying ice cream for the kids. It warmed my heart and made me laugh. "I'm a grandma, so I need to buy these kids some ice cream!" she said. 


After lunch the kids wanted to go to the Disney Store, so we walked over to City Creek and scoped out the Disney merch. Then we went to Claire's where they were doing a big clearance clean-out, so I let the girls each pick out six items to buy. 

By the time we left the mall, it was 2:30 in the afternoon, and I was pleased that we'd stayed busy enough to waste a typical Friday's worth of school time (Nicky gets out at 12:30 on Fridays, and my girls get out at 1:15). 

On the way home, I stopped at the mailbox and found this gem from my friend Lynsie. 

For my best bosom buddy -
Q: What did one saggy boobie say to the other saggy boobie?
A: If we don't get some support soon, people will think we're nuts!
Stay lifted and toned my friend!

And that is how Lynsie won Valentine's Day. 

When we got home, I let my kids watch some TV while I read a book for a few minutes. Then I had my kids decorate some foam hearts (the ones I was going to decorate their doors with), and we went to my mother-in-law's house to "heart attack" her front door. I knew she was home, and I knew she'd catch us, so I texted her beforehand and told her to ignore us. That way my kids could enjoy the illusion of completing a "secret surprise." We even did an elaborate getaway where I drove the van away as fast as I could with the door still open. The kids bought it! They think we are sneaky as can be!

When we got home, I made some mashed potatoes to take to my mom's house. My mom hosted Valentine's Day dinner with my brothers. I had my first experience with crab legs. 


My verdict: I can't work that hard for food!

Scotty says that if we ever have crab again, he'll do the work for me. Now that's true love! 

We had a great day full of love and fun activities. 

Then I remembered that my kids still had three days home from school (insert distressed emoji face). 

No comments: