Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Resolution Review 2017

Normally I write several New Year themed posts at the end of December. This year will be no exception, but I'm not coming at you with as much enthusiasm this year as I have in years past.

I've usually had a 50% success rate with my resolutions, but I have to confess that this year, if I met any of my goals, it was by pure accident. I didn't even try, save for one goal: graduating!

That, I accomplished.

Everything else was a failure. Let's take a look at my resolutions for 2017. My theme for the year was "safekeeping" or in other words, "stewardship," so my focus was on being a good steward over the things I've been blessed with. My goals were as follows:

1. Improve our budget and spend our money more wisely

Ha!

I tried using YNAB, but it just didn't work for me, so I am back to my old notebook ways. I haven't found a program that budgets the way I do. I guess I have my own thang.

As for spending our money wisely... that's up for debate. I'm really good at making a plan, but I'm terrible at following through. I'm not a super fan of Gretchen Rubin, but there's one thing she totally made up* that resonates with me a little bit. She talks about being rebellious and how rebellious people even rebel against their own to do lists and the like. That is me. If I make a list or a budget or a rule for myself, I will rebel against it. I have to. No one is the boss of me. Not even me!

2. Have fewer than ten encounters with soda

I'm pretty sure that was a typo, and it was supposed to say ten thousand. In which case... I probably still failed.

3. Weigh less on December 31 than I did on January 1

Or twenty-two pounds more. Whatever.

4. Improve our family home evenings and family councils

We had some good moments.

5. Graduate

I did that! I did!

6. During January, study the topic of happiness and make a list of "best practices," then set goals to make them a part of my daily life

I totally forgot about this goal. I actually kind of accomplished this. I started studying happiness, and then I had to choose a topic for my practicum, so I did it on happiness. I wrote four hours' worth of curriculum.** Maybe this makes up for all the goals I sucked at this year.


*This is why I'm not a super fan of Gretchen Rubin. She makes up stuff. Sometimes it's good stuff, but still...
**Which all came from scholarly resources, and not Gretchen Rubin

1 comment:

love.joy.lane said...

When I first read this I thought you said you WERE a superfan and that totally the me off because you could write a better book with your eyes closed... Even if you were just making up stuff.