Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Christmas Smack Down

This week is so insanely busy that it just might kill me. I tend to think that I can handle a lot - and then when it's time to actually handle it, I turn into a lunatic.

There's a health psychologist named Kelly McGonigal who has done some research on how we commit to things at later dates because we think of our future selves as more capable. For example, if you ask me to run a mile right now, I will say no because I know I can't run a mile, but if you ask me to run a mile next Thursday, I might say yes because I subconsciously believe that I'm going to be a different person by then.

This week, my "current self" and my "past self" are going through some disagreements.

Current self: Why did you do this to me?

Past self: I thought you could handle it!

I can never recognize "too much" until I'm drowning in it. So this week, we have all of the normal stuff - piano lessons, scouts, and extracurriculars for school. But my girls also have their Christmas dance concert. Last night they had a stage rehearsal and then Thursday and Friday night they have the actual concert. Each of these is about a 4-5 hour commitment. And I top of that, I scheduled two doctor's appointments, a speaking engagement an hour away from home, and three visiting teaching appointments. Plus, my own visiting teachers are coming, and I agreed to do a part in the Relief Society Christmas program and Nicky is singing in it. Have I read my part? No. Am I running out of time? Yep. Should I be blogging right now? Definitely not.

On top of all the stuff, my kids are completely off their rockers. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. OF THEM. Their anxiety is through the roof, none of them are sleeping well, and they speak fluent whine. They are possessed with some sort of Christmas demon, and I tend to forget that they get this way every year. 

A quick letter:

Dear Britt,

Do not book anything the week of the dance concert. You will think you can handle it. You can't. Don't do it.

Sincerely,

December 2017 Britt, who is sufficiently qualified to make this statement

No comments: