Thursday, December 22, 2016

2016 Resolutions in Review

I know I'm jumping the gun a little bit here since it isn't even Christmas yet, but I'm already feeling the energy of the new year!

This week I was talking to some friends about New Year's resolutions, and I found out that I was the only one of the group that actually makes them. They kind of looked at me like, "Really?!? You do that?" and I thought, "Oh my gosh! I'm weird!"

I understand my friends' logic, though - why set yourself up for failure? Why add undue pressure to your life?


But I make New Year's resolutions because I enjoy them, and I am at peace with my success rate. I go into it knowing that I'm not going to keep all of them, and I don't beat myself up at the end of the year.

I heard a lady speak about resolutions at the beginning of this year, and I loved what she said. I don't remember all of the details, but she talked about failing at our resolutions and how that's okay! She said we shouldn't let failure keep us from wanting to pursue that goal. She shared with us that she had made a New Year's resolution to read the New Testament year after year after year, and she kept failing to meet her goal. Then finally, after several years, she did it. She encouraged us to set the goal and keep trying and not beat ourselves up if we don't make it this time. I lack the eloquence of her message, so you're just going to have to trust me on this one.

Howard W. Hunter said, "This is a gospel of repentance, and we need to be repenting and resolving. Indeed, the process of repenting, making commitments, and setting goals should be a continuous one, so there is nothing wrong with using this traditional time of the year to evaluate the past and plan the future... The practice of reviewing the past and setting new directions for the future is a very healthy one, a scripturally encouraging one, in which we can beneficially alter our lives. I commend the practice to you, especially if it is thoughtfully pursued and the resolutions made are made in righteousness, bringing behaviors and attitudes that truly bless your lives and the lives of others" (read the whole talk. I love it!)

I appreciate the practice of reviewing the past year and "setting new directions for the future."

And with that... I will now make my official declaration about where I stand with my resolutions from 2016:


No soda. FAILURE!

In fact, I'm pretty sure my relationship with a cocolada from Fiiz can best be described as a love affair.

I'm working on it...

Stay in school. SUCCESS!

I can't believe that one year ago I was actually thinking about dropping out. Now I am so close to graduating! Progress comes slowly, and yet, adds up quickly.

Cultivate the talents in my patriarchal blessing. SUCCESS!

This was a really good resolution. I recommend it!

Send 25 hand-written cards or letters. SUCCESS!

I rocked this one. I kept a pack of cards in my van and some in my day planner so I could easily fill out a card and drop it in the mail at any time. I also got a new address book and collected may relevant addresses.

Have a $0 balance on my credit card statement each month. FAILURE!

Because of how difficult this was, I no longer trust my credit card balance. The statement is always a mess, and I can't get my records to match up, so I am hoping to just get rid of the card altogether this year. The reason I use it is because I get a percentage of cash back. It's not worth it. Credit cards are too messy!

Maintain or improve my exercise habits. FAILURE!

No comment.

Weigh less on September 29, 2016 than I did on September 29, 2015. FAILURE!

Let's just go ahead and add 20 pounds to my weight from September 2015.

Re-read five books. Almost SUCCESS!

I may have read five, but I can only think of four:

Jurassic Park by Michal Crichton

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

The Spellbook of Listen Taylor by Jaclyn Moriarty

The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas\

That's good enough for me!

-----------------------------

So it looks like my success rate is about 50%. I'm cool with that! In fact, it makes me think I should expand my resolutions for next year. I was going to set only one goal for 2017: GRADUATE! but that sets me up for either 100% or 0. I think I prefer middle ground.

1 comment:

Feisty Harriet said...

I have a love/hate relationship with resolutions...sometimes (when I succeed) I super love it. More often it's a thorny reminder for the whole year that "no, actually, that goal was way out in left field...good luck with that!"

xox