Friday, March 20, 2015

Sleeping Things

In the mornings, it's always interesting to see which of my children comes tromping up the stairs first. Zoe still sleeps in a crib, so she does't get to "tromp" yet,* but Nicky and Daisy each have their individual mannerisms that help us identify who is coming up the stairs at 6:00 a.m.

Nicky is the silent one. If I hear the faint rustling of slow movement, I know it's my son. It's usually a relief when it's Nicky coming up the stairs because he can fend for himself for a bit while I go back to sleep. Occasionally he has stomach problems or a bad dream and wants some help, but in most cases, he wanders the house silently or just sits on the couch wrapped in a blanket.

Daisy is the noisy one. She stomps on each stair and slams into walls with her uncontrolled limbs. She breathes loudly, clears her throat, and stands over us like something out of a horror film. Whenever it's Daisy, we fake sleep just to see what she'll do (there is no authentic sleep to be had once Daisy starts ascending the stairs). Sometimes she stands there for a long time and breathes. Sometimes she pokes us in the arm. Sometimes she says something in a drawn-out, creepy whisper (the child is loud so whispers are a challenge for her).

Our sleep routines are always going through changes. We'll go through phases where I wake up naturally before any of the kids. I love this because I can work on homework, do some blogging, read books, etc before I have to be a mom. It's always nice to have some personal time at the beginning of the day. The only bad thing about it is that, whatever I do, it must be absolutely silent. It would be awesome to start a load of laundry or shower before the kids get up, but with the floor plan of my house, there is no safe place to make noise. I'm even scared to pee. Doing a chore is too risky to my alone time, so I must use my alone time to indulge in quiet things.

Other times we go through phases where my kids wake up before me, and I have to drag my groggy self out of bed and try to not bite their heads off and eat them for breakfast.** I'm not a great mom when we're in this phase. I don't know what happens to affect my kids' sleep cycles like this, but they'll go from sleeping until 7:00 to waking up at 5:00 for weeks at a time. It's usually 4-6 weeks before they start "sleeping in" again.

I think my ideal wake time each day would be 6:30. Before that, I'm a little too tired, and it makes my day a little too long. Actually, my days are too long, in general (the 5:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. time frame is brutal). But if I could wake up at 6:30 and have an hour to myself before my kids wake up, that would be pretty cool.  Of course, that would require them to sleep until 7:30, and that just isn't going to happen.

image
{Zoe asleep on my friend's kitchen floor}

You may be hoping that this post has a point, but it doesn't. I just needed something quiet to do during my alone time this morning, and as I anticipated my children waking up, it turned into some meaningless blogging.

(Daisy was first today).



*Zoe's wakings go something like this: Zoe wakes up. Zoe lays in crib and yells, "Mama!" or "Dada!" I go into Zoe's room. Zoe pretends to be asleep. I leave Zoe's room. Zoe yells some more. I go into Zoe's room. Zoe looks at me and says, "No! Dada!" I tell Zoe Dada is at work. Zoe refuses to leave her crib. I text Scotty and tell him he needs to come home and get Zoe out of bed. This is funny because he works an hour away. Haha. Hilarious, right? 

**That is a figure of speech. I have never actually bitten off nor consumed a child's head. 

No comments: