Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Getting Our Memorial On

I didn't intend to write a post about our Memorial Day weekend, but I read so many other awesome posts about the weekend that I couldn't just sit back and exclude myself!

Our Memorial Day festivities started last Monday. I took the kids to the dollar store to pick out some pinwheels to take to the cemetery (that was our "field trip" for the week). Nicky has always been very curious about death, so going to the cemetery was quite the experience for him. We went and visited the graves of Scotty's grandma, Scotty's brother, and my grandpa. 


Scotty had Friday off work, so we headed up to the cabin for the night. Daisy is our little fisherman (fishergirl?) She LOVES her Barbie fishing pole, and she's pretty good at casting. She always asks Scotty to put some "bake" on her line. He has to trick her because there's no hook on it, but she hasn't figured it out yet.


I always spend a lot of time wandering around the pond taking pictures of wildflowers. I'm not a big fan of fishing (one of Scotty's only complaints about me - luckily he's willing to overlook this flaw and stay married to me).



Scotty used Daisy for an arm workout on our way back to the cabin.

(Random fact: Scotty has lost nearly thirty pounds this year).


On Saturday we left the cabin and drove home through Park City. We drove past the shoe tree(s) which nearly killed me because there are so many really nice pairs of shoes up there that I would love to get my hands on.

(They donate them to charity every fall).


That night we watched Mission Impossible (we're only 16 years behind the times), and I was reminded that Tom Cruise, though sometimes strange, isn't ugly.

On Sunday, we did the church thing, then we went to an indoor weenie roast at my mother-in-law's house. We roasted German hot dogs and brats over her living room fire. After that, we went to my father-in-law's house for a BBQ. We played a few exciting round of "I Never" (special Mormon non-drinking edition) and then a few rounds of Werewolves around the fire.

{photo stolen borrowed from my sister-in-law who shall remain Nameless}

On Monday, we bummed around for most of the day. We went to lunch at Chuck-A-Rama so I could fill up on scones and mashed potatoes. That night we went to a family reunion. The kids had a blast and came home filthy.

We had a lot of fun, and we were extra spoiled with a four-day weekend. I'll take as many of those as I can get!

No comments: