Thursday, May 24, 2012

Garden 2012

Last year I took progressive pictures of my garden throughout the summer. It was really fun to see how it grew. For my own satisfaction, I decided to do it again this year. I kept thinking that I would get all of the weeds pulled out of the rocks and get all of the odds and ends picked up before I snapped a photo. Then I decided that I might as well remember it the way it really was. 

Garden May 2012

We finished planting over Mothers' Day weekend. Everything is doing really well except for the cantaloupe and the cucumbers. We are cursed and have never, in nine years of marriage, successfully grown cucumbers or cantaloupe. 

Any year now we expect to be blown away!

Two nights ago I ate our first strawberry! I can't wait for a few more of those bad boys! Oh my yum! We've been eating lettuce and spinach this week, and peas are getting close!

Here are some of the things we are growing this year:
  • Cucumbers (traditional, armenian, and lemon)
  • Tomatoes
  • Pumpkins (mini and standard)
  • Winter Squash (acorn, spaghetti, and butternut)
  • Strawberries
  • Watermelon 
  • Summer Squash (zuuchini and straight-neck)
  • Cantaloupe (regular and mini)
  • Tigger Melon
  • Green Beans
  • Cilantro
  • Rosemary
  • Green Onions
  • Garlic
  • Peppers (about 10 different varieties)
  • Carrots (orange and purple)
  • Peas
  • Lettuce (two different varieties)
  • Spinach

We also have a successful grape vine - for the first time ever - with wee, bitty grapes starting to grow. Squee! And we have some raspberry bushes, so we might get a handful of raspberries this year (they are still quite young).

Hopefully we won't starve any time soon!

3 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

man you have quite the garden...we have lettuce, arugula, nasturisms, and potatoes..lots of potatoes..the pumpkin died..not sure about the zucchini..might try another of those 2 and hope that it is getting warmer they might survive..dang slugs..and we have tomatoes and a little basil plant..hope to actually get tomatoes this year and not green ones..oh and we have onions, leeks too..we just took a tree down..so hoping it adds more sun.;)

Lady Susan said...

So I love the idea of gravel in the back yard and only raised garden beds. However, my husband likes the idea of a little bit of a yard to play in. Knowing that you have two young kids, how do you reconcile this? Do you have more yard than is visible? A park close by?

heidikins said...

I have garden envy. Big time.

xox