Saturday, October 10, 2026

It's a great day for McDonald's (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: I don’t know what my tongue does during dental cleanings. I feel like I can’t control it or even discern where it is in my mouth. Does it move to and fro wildly? Is it flapping all around the place? Cuz I feel like it might be. 

Fact #2: This week Nicky was transferred to the Commonwealth of Dominica (or just “Dominica” - pronounced like “Dominique-uh” - not like “Dominican Republic”). It’s another Caribbean island in his mission - it’s its own country. 


Fact #3: Dominica is approximately the size of New York City. It has one of the highest concentrations of active volcanoes in the world. They have two places of LDS worship (not quite churches - but designated meeting places with signage nonetheless). They speak English and Creole (so as with his time in Antigua, Nicky’s Spanish will go by the wayside). 


Fact #4: Nicky doesn’t know that we know he’s in Dominica, so everyone act surprised when he tells us on our Monday phone call (wink, wink).

Fact #5: I didn’t take any photos of Daisy for homecoming, but some eventually rolled in. Here she is with her date (just her ex boyfriend’s cousin - no big deal):



Fact #6: She bought her dress for $6 at the DI, and her shoes were $8. She’s not a dressy shoe girl (neither was I).

Fact #7: So far, we haven’t had to do the bouquet trend for school dances, and I’m glad. It’s creeping up on us though. I don’t understand it. What do they do with the bouquets? They pose for pictures and look like a wedding party. Then what? Leave them on the seat of the car? At least you can wear a corsage to the dance. This is what happens when you get old. “Kids these days!”

Fact #8: I am in the height of my PMDD symptoms right now, so I hate everyone, and I feel like the world is ending. 

Fact #9: Yesterday I mentioned that I went to Cedar City last weekend (it’s about three and half hours south of where I live). That was for the Shakespeare Competition at Southern Utah University. For the past three years I’ve gone with Laurel so we can watch our kids compete. It was fun to get away for a few days, and the people watching is always top notch!

Our team performing a scene from Richard III

Fact #10: I bought Laurel and me some matching jammies, and it kind of made us look like we escaped from a loony bin (and with the PMDD, I definitely feel that way).

I am but a wee lad

No comments: