Friday, September 4, 2026

The Possibly Not True Doctrine of Cheetos

 September Writing Challenge  - Prompt #21:

And I Quote

"Cheetos are the food of God."

-The Tenth Mistake of Hank Hooperman



This week I listened to the book The Tenth Mistake of Hank Hooperman by Gennifer Choldenko. Should you be interested, this is a middle-grade novel about an 11-year-old boy who is put in a position to care for himself and his younger sister after his mother doesn't return home one day. Part of that care includes living off Cheetos.

(Gennifer Choldenko is also the author of Al Capone Does My Shirts and the subsequent books in the Tales From Alcatraz series).  

This quote made me laugh out loud because I had an institute teacher in college who studied the Old Testament very thoroughly, and he came to the conclusion that manna is like Cheetos without the orange powder. I have a very distinct memory of him telling this to our class, holding his fingers to his mouth as if he were eating the manna, and pronouncing "Cheetos" with a very distinct emphasis on the "T" sound. 

Ever since that discussion from over twenty years ago, I have considered Cheetos to be manna. I think Brother Roberts would be pleased to know that someone out there agrees with his theory. 

"Cheetos are the food of God."

No comments: