Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Things on a Tuesday

This has been an "off" week so far. Yesterday was the sort of day where everything kept going wrong.

I dropped FOUR eggs during breakfast prep, and not all at once! I would get one cleaned up, resume cracking eggs, and drop another one. Two of the eggs landed right on the crevice between my stove top and my counter, so the eggy goo ran down and pooled on the floor under my oven. I didn't have time to pull the oven out to clean it, so I did the best I could by wrapping a towel around a butter knife and sliding it in the crack. Another egg ended up on the floor, and I scooped it quickly into my hands to keep it from spreading, but as I moved toward the sink to deposit it, the egg ran through my fingers and dripped all over the floor. I didn't learn my lesson because I dropped another egg on the counter and tried the hand scooping approach again which resulted in me bumping my crock pot with my elbow, sending it flying. The ceramic piece was in the dishwasher, but the unit was still plugged into the wall (I clearly didn't learn my lesson from when Jess from Gilmore Girls grew up and married Mandy Moore and suffered death by crock pot) (and now that I've said that, I better throw this out there for Shannon, who is currently watching Gilmore Girls for the first time, that I am not talking about Gilmore Girls, so no spoilers here... except in regards to that other show, which I do not actually like, and therefore, don't feel obligated to keep hushed about). 

Where was I?

Oh, yes. The crock pot went flying since it wasn't weighed down by the crock. It hit the metal garbage can, which put a big dent in the side, and then, since it was still plugged into the wall, it dangled from the outlet and spun in a slow circle while I stood there with egg in my hands. 

All of this happened with two little girls underfoot, or "underarm," to be more accurate, since any time I cook, Zoe and Eva have to have their heads in my armpits to see what I'm doing. And that is what makes me prone to so much egg dropping! In addition to all the other morning chaos that gets me feeling stressed and sloppy. 


My day pretty much continued in that manner. Clumsy accidents and messy crises. One after the other.

The day ended in a pneumonia diagnosis for Nicky and me running over Zoe and Eva's scooters in the garage. As soon as I heard the sound of the scooters, I asked Nicky to jump out of the van and look. The scooters were both wedged under my van tires, and I told Nicky to just leave them there, and we would assess them later. I chose to leave them because they were out of sight, and I needed them to stay that way. This morning, I moved the van, and Nicky went and got the scooters. They survived! And I am so glad! The girls have only had them for about two weeks, and I was certain I was going to have to hide the evidence and buy new ones (it wouldn't be the first time I've had to throw away a scooter and sneakily buy a replacement). 

As for the pneumonia thing, Nicky has been a little sick since Easter weekend, but he is so tough that it's easy to overlook sickness and injury in that one. But he has had a bit of a cough that has gotten worse over the past few days, and he's been lethargic and doesn't have much of an appetite. I've wondered off and on for several days whether he has pneumonia. I finally took him to instacare last night. The doctor said he could hear a crackle in Nicky's lungs, so they ordered an x-ray, and sure enough, it's pneumonia.


The x-ray tech was a doll. She printed off the images for Nicky and showed him what everything in the picture was. We now know for sure that he has lungs, a heart, and intestines. Nicky's favorite part was that the tech was able to show him an air pocket in his intestine as well as some of his poop. Show a twelve year old boy an x-ray of his fart, and he will be one happy lad! 

I made Nicky stay home from school today to rest (he threw up this morning, possibly a reaction to his antibiotics and he keeps getting bloody noses, poor kid), so my routine is shaken. Zoe and Eva had school today. Their classes start and end a few minutes apart. When I picked up Zoe, I put her in the van and stopped to talk to a friend. While I was talking my friend, I suddenly had this moment of panic because I couldn't remember where Eva was. I couldn't recall putting her in the van, so I wondered if I accidentally left her at home. It was such a bizarre moment! Meanwhile, Eva was exactly where she was supposed to be... in school. It took me a good minute to orient myself and figure out what was going on. It scared me. 

But let's go back to instacare for a minute. 

Before that, I need to tell you about my squeaky shoe. 


I have a squeaky shoe, and it's really annoying, yet, I keep wearing it. I think, "Oh it's not that bad!" but when I'm "squeak, squeak, squeaking" my way through the library or the grocery store, I suddenly remember how awful it really is to have a squeaky shoe (and even worse is the fact that I paid big money for my squeaky shoe after doing a gait assessment at a running store). 

Yesterday was such a moment as I squeaked my way from the exam room to the x-ray room at instacare. When I was walking back to the exam room, a medical assistant was talking to a co-worker about his squeaky shoe and walking around the area trying to make his shoe squeak. I heard him tell his co-worker, "I can hear it! Can't you hear it?" I stopped walking and said, "Are you talking about my shoe?" and he said, "Oh, that's what it was! I thought it was my shoe!" then we commiserated about our squeaky shoes because apparently he has one too, and he thought my shoe squeaks were his shoe squeaks. 

Let's take a moment to discuss how important human connection is... whether it's fueled by memories, food, feelings, or squeaky shoes. It's good to know we're not alone. I am not the only one out there squeaking. 

Meanwhile, is it really only Tuesday?




3 comments:

JJ said...

You'll have to tell me why you don't like This Is Us because I don't like it either and everyone loves it.

Jessica Nordgren said...

Finally someone else who doesn’t like This is Us. I’ve felt so alone in the world. It’s nice to know I’m not alone ��

Mama B said...

Sorry about the pneumonia and the eggs. I hope Nicky is feeling better now.