Friday, July 12, 2024

Past Britt

Sometimes I really love Britt of the Past. Let me tell you what I mean by that. Occasionally, some former version of myself saves my current butt and makes my life easier.

For example, today I wanted a cookie after lunch. I went out to my freezer and got into a Rubbermaid container full of brookies and sat one out to thaw for a bit. This was only possible because a crazy version of Past Britt made 100 brookies one day because she knew that Future Britt might want a sweet and shouldn’t have to bake any. Looking in the freezer showed me that Past Britt also knew I would eventually need some cream cheese frosting and some chicken that is cut into bite-size pieces. Someday I’m going to make a kebab, and I’m not going to have to cut up the chicken because Past Britt already did it! And sometime I’m going to need some frosting - perhaps on cinnamon rolls or between honey grahams or even atop zucchini bread, and Past Britt has already taken care of it!

Past Britt baking brookies

Probably 90% of the favors Past Britt does for me are food-related (hello frozen bags of breadsticks imma thaw and enjoy with spaghetti someday soon), but every now and then she surprises me with a non-food luxury. Last Week Britt had the pediatrician fill out Nicky’s medical forms for the upcoming school year so they are ready to go when the golf coach lets us know 24 hours before tryouts that tryouts are, in fact, happening (four years of high school golf have proven that Coach does not do anything to help Future Anyone, so we gotta just be ready to go at the drop of a hat). Future Britt is going to be so excited when she goes to the parent meeting (that she’ll find out about on the Day Of) and she already has the paperwork ready to turn in.

Everyday I need to make sure to do something Future Britt can love me for. 

1 comment:

Cheyenne Bigelow said...

“Everyday I need to make sure to do something that Future Britt can love me for” πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ I love this sentence and this sentiment. I’m going to start saying it. Except, I’ll substitute Shine for Britt, of course. Though I think it’d be pretty awesome to do things that Future Britt would also love Current Shine for. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰πŸ€