Sunday, April 2, 2023

Spring Break - The Part Where We Stayed Home

Ten things we did during the six days of Spring Break we stayed home:

1. Asked a girl to prom


Nicky decided he wanted to ask his friend Addison to prom, and he insisted on buying her a tree. He thought he was so funny! So we went tree shopping, and to our luck, Costco had their bare root fruit trees stocked for the season. 

He was disappointed that they didn’t have any leaves (I explained to him that you usually plant fruit trees while they’re dormant), so we went to Dollar Tree (Tree! Ha!) and bought some leaves. Then Nicky insisted on making the tree a name tag and naming it after a Stranger Things character because Addison is in love with Steve. 

He delivered the tree late one night when Addison was scheduled to return from her own Spring Break to Disney World (I’m not jealous… I’m not jealous…)

Now we await her reply…*

Yes, “we.” Because I am heavily involved in all the details of my son’s dating life, much to his dismay. 

Which brings me to…

2. Bought a birthday gift for a girl

Nicky wanted to buy a birthday present for a girl, so I was like, “Would you like some counsel, or do you want to do it yourself?”

He wanted counsel. So I counseled. And then he was like, “Mom, will you make the gift look nice?”

So I tied a bow. 

And then Nicky was like, “So… a girl asked me yesterday if my mom helps me with all this stuff, and I told her ya, and she said she can tell.”

I don’t know if that’s a good thing to a bad thing.

(But seriously, I kind of love asking girls to dances and buying them birthday presents so just let me do this!)

3. Went to 80’s prom

Several weeks ago, I found a legit 80’s jumpsuit at the DI, and I just had to try it on. It fit… I guess… so I couldn’t just leave it there. I knew I would need it someday! 


So when Christie asked me if I wanted to go to an 80’s dance, I couldn’t say no because I had the perfect jumpsuit hanging in my closet!

To make it all the more exciting, we tricked our husbands into wearing matching shirts… which we’ve done before, so they’ll never trust us to dress them again. 

Fool me once, shame on you, and all that.


I was sad I didn’t have enough time to get some really awesome 80’s hair going. I had to settle for a quick scrunchie. But I wanted to go BIG! 

Some other time…


4. Got family photos done

I’m not sure how they turned out, but FINGERS CROSSED! 

They’re supposed to be ready on Tuesday. I think our last family photos are four years old. 

5. Kicked off the Easter festivities with a family Egg Roll

Scotty’s family has a tradition of rolling eggs down a hill every year (yeah… it’s weird). It’s something his grandma started 50 years ago. 

Since the hill is wet and cold from the snow we’ve been having, they did things a little differently this year and had it at a church. The kids rolled eggs on the floor for prizes.



6. Had an April Fool’s dinner

We usually do a mystery menu for April Fool’s, but I sometimes get bored doing the same things over and over every year, so this year I made my kids eat dinner straight off the table with gloves.



We had spaghetti for dinner, and then I made ice cream sundaes for dessert (with a fresh table cloth). I let them use spoons for the sundaes, though. 

Now I’m wondering why we don’t live like this. Do you know how nice it is to just walk around the table and plop everyone’s food down right in front of their spot? And to just roll it all up when you’re done and not have any dishes?

Talk about a life hack!

7. Registered the van

I live a glamorous life.

8. Ate way too many tacos

I’m not a huge taco fan to begin with. They’re just okay. But after eating them on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and on Sunday again, I don’t think I need anymore tacos this year.

9. Started working in the garden 

We’ve had a rollercoaster of weather lately, so it hasn’t been feasible to do much yard work. On the day we got back from Saint George, it was sunny and warm(ish) for a few hours before the next snow storm rolled in, so Eva and I went out in the yard and worked in the garden.  

10. Listened to General Conference

(As much as four fighting kids would allow).


We always go to my in-laws’ on Conference Sunday and have breakfast. I do BINGO for the kids. 

Now Spring Break is (finally) coming to an end, and we have more days of snow ahead! 

———

*She ended up answering him while I was writing this post! (I spied on the Ring doorbell from my bed - oh the perks of modern technology!)




No comments: