Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Shipping - An Old Woman’s View

The other day, Scotty, Daisy, and I were driving in the van, and Daisy was talking about her friends when she said, “Courtney is shipping me and Liam.”

And Scotty and I were both like, “Huh?”

Cuz first we thought she said Courtney was shitting her and Liam, but Daisy doesn’t curse, so we had to clarify. 

Shipping.

What?

So she explained shipping. 

And Scotty and I were like, “OMG we are so old!”

The language of the modern-day teens is so annoying to us (like ours was to our parents). How they’re all, “That’s L!” and “That’s W!” and “Rizz!” and if you try to Google their language, you get a variety of explanations for the terms they’re using, and there’s always some definition that’s pervy and awful, and you’re like, “Children of mine, don’t say words anymore. We’re just not going to use words. They’re all bad. All of them! We are no longer humans who speak. In fact, don’t make any gestures either. Keep you’re hands folded neatly in your lap, and don’t make sound again, ever.”

So shipping.

I’m only a few days into knowing this term, and I was thinking it was new. But, due to frequency illusion, this morning I heard the term in a book I’m listening to that was written in 2013, which means folks have been “shipping” for at least ten years now.

Where have I been?

Well…ain’t no one shipping me, so this is something I completely missed.

No comments: