Tuesday, August 23, 2022

August Reads

Only a few more days until the "ber" months begin! I am so excited. I have fall scented hand soaps and candles at the ready, and the corn stalks in my garden are browning nicely. They're in a little better shape this year than last year, but they still weren't big corn producers. Oh well! We got a few ears. Maybe next year will be better. Until then, I'll just enjoy the fact that I grew some fall decor! (Not much luck with pumpkins this year, though). 

This year, I'll be doing another September Writing Challenge. I have my list of writing prompts ready to go, so that'll be posted sometime in the next few days. 

With this being the last week(ish) of August, here's a look at what I've read this month:

The Rose Code by Kate Quinn

(historical fiction)

Source: Audiobook

Summary: This is a story (loosely based real people) of three women who worked at Bletchley Park in WWII.

Content: I honestly don't remember, but Kate Quinn's books usually contain sex and language. 

Review: ****

Final statement: I enjoy a good Bletchley story - it's such a fascinating part of history, and because of the secrecy of the projects that took place there, so much is still unknown. This is well-done historical fiction, and I loved the author's note at the end. This book also included interesting historical tie-ins to Prince Phillip and Queen Elizabeth that might appeal to fans of The Crown. 

96 Miles by J.L. Esplin

(survival, middle grade)

Source: Audiobook

Summary: Two brothers must travel 96 miles through the Nevada desert to get help after a long-term power outage. 

Content: I would let my kids and my grandma read this (other than it might give my kids anxiety about emergencies).

Review: ****

Final statement: Nicky found this book and said he was going to read it before the end of summer. Guess who didn't read it? (Eyeroll). But I listened to it in anticipation of sharing a book experience with my son. I enjoyed it, and it reminded me a little of Hatchet - mostly because it's a survival story. It also made me remember to be prepared for disasters (time to check our water and food storage etc). I also have to laugh because this book is very clearly written by a member of my Church. You just know. You know? I googled stuff to find out for sure, and the only evidence I could find that she is a member of the Church is that she was nominated for a Whitney Award

The Law of Love by Steve Young

(Christian, non-fiction)

Source: Audiobook

Summary: Former SF 49ers quarterback, Steve Young, teaches us about loving without transaction. 

Content: Squeaky clean.

Review: ****

Final statement: Steve Young is great! So how is it that his book has the worst cover ever?


Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand

(contemporary, women's fiction)


Source: E-book

Summary: Two sisters and their friend retreat to Nantucket for the summer, and 700 pages happen.

Content: Sex and language

Review: 3.5 stars

Final statement: I've never read a book by Elin Hilderbrand, so this is my first taste of her writing. I thought she wrote Seabiscuit and Unbroken, but that was Laura Hillenbrand. Not the same person. Oops! Anyway, I thought this book was okay. It was a bit long, though. 

The Haunting of Brynn Wilder by Wendy Webb

(paranormal, gothic, clean reads)

 
Source: Audiobook

Summary: Brynn retreats to a small town at Lake Superior to get away from life, and she meets some new friends and sees dead people and stuff.

Content: Quite clean. Grandma stamp of approval. 

Review: ****

Final statement: The word "haunting" in the title is a bit deceiving. This is like a Hallmark ghost story. Normally I wouldn't care for this sort of book, but I liked this one. 

Amelia Unabridged by Ashley Schumacher

(young adult)


Source: Audiobook

Summary: Shortly after graduation, Amelia's best friend dies, and Amelia is left to face her future alone. Amelia finds healing when she meets the author of her favorite book series. 

Content: One "hell" and a short instance of 18 year olds drinking wine. Mild innuendo with one use of the term "wet dream" and a sentence about boobs. 

Review: ****

Final statement: I don't have too much to say about this one other than I liked it. 

Before She Knew Him by Peter Swanson

(psychological thriller, murder mystery)


Source: Audiobook

Summary: Hen and her husband are invited to dinner by their new neighbors, and afterward, Hen suspects her neighbor is a murderer. Creepy stuff unfolds.

Content: Kind of disturbing and pervy in the way that most thrillers are. Language. 

Review: ****

Final statement: This is the kind of book that I sometimes feel embarrassed to enjoy. But fine. I liked it.  

The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi

(historical fiction, India)

Source: Audiobook

Summary: Lakshmi is a henna artist in 1950’s India, shortly after India has become an independent country. Lakshmi discovers she has a teenage sister she did not previously know about. Both women try to navigate their own independence.

Content: abortion, discussion of the pleasure district and prostitution, one sex scene

Review: ****

Final statement: My interest in this book was touch and go. I went back and forth between being bored (talk of tinctures and oils) and intrigued (moral predicaments, oh my!) Overall, it was good, but some parts lulled a bit for me. 

Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman

(young adult, mental health)


Source: e-book

Summary: Caden is a teenager with schizophrenia. This non-linear storyline alternates between his real world where he is struggling with feelings of paranoia and ends up hospitalized and his world of mental illness where he is on a ship headed for Challenger Deep. 

Content: suicidality

Review: ***

Final statement: I thought this books was brilliant, but I didn't enjoy reading it. The "ship" chapters were a struggle for me. The backstory of his novel is very interesting, and I respect what Shusterman has done. His close friend had schizophrenia and died by suicide. His son also has schizophrenia, and Shusterman incorporated his son's artwork in the book. If I hadn't known the backstory, I probably wouldn't have finished this book, but I really wanted to experience the whole book. I'm glad I read it, but I had to fight through it a bit. 

----------------------------------------------------

Books I read in August but didn't review here:






No comments: