Friday, April 3, 2020

Quarantine Update: Day 23

Right now I'm sitting at the kitchen table surrounded by laptops, so I might as well add mine to the mix and do some blogging. We're hanging in there - taking this quarantine* life one day at a time. The days are really long, but the weeks go by fast.


My kids are starting to sleep a little later in the mornings. Only by about half an hour, but it's still a shift from our norm. I would love for them to sleep in just to waste some of the day away.

This week I found myself drifting mentally and emotionally, so I started forcing myself to get out and walk in the mornings while my family is still asleep. It's amazing how much that helps. I've realized I thrive on having productive time to myself in the mornings. Everything goes so much better if I can take some time for me before I have to start taking care of everyone else. One of my hangups with this has been that on the morning of the earthquake, I was going to go for a walk, but I forgot to set my shoes out the night before. I ended up staying in bed. If I would have gone for my walk, I would have been out of the house during the earthquake, but because I was just a little bit lazy that morning, I was home with my family. I have to say, that experience made me a little hesitant to leave the house in the mornings, but I know I can't live in fear. So I've been making myself go out, and it has been good.

One of my neighbor's houses I often walk past

On my morning walks, I pass a pair of ducks at the local elementary school. It has become a highlight of my day to greet the ducks each morning. They run away from me, but I feel like we have a bond anyway. I literally say "Good morning," to the ducks everyday. They never return the sentiments.

My friends running away from me

Even though I've started talking to ducks, I'm not entirely without human interaction. Every day I sit out in my driveway recliner while my kids ride bikes and play, and if I hang out there long enough, someone will come by, and I'll get to say hello from afar.

Rosie comes by every day. She calls me by my last name, 
and I think it's hilarious.

Yesterday was particularly uplifting because I saw so many humans! A lot of my neighbors were out doing a neighborhood scavenger hunt. Some were walking and some were driving, but all of them who went past our house stopped to say hello. We also saw some of our family because we coordinated a birthday drive-by for my mother-in-law. There were windows and/or several feet of distance between us all, but we still got to be together for a minute. Last night Scotty and I chatted with some friends on Zoom and had some good laughs. I also got to see my friends Carlie and Lynsie this week. And Teresa and Chad. I love my people.

Our contribution to the scavenger hunt
(the theme was Disney movies)

It's been weird for me to not have anything scheduled and to almost let go of time completely. There are some rare events like class meetings that are "scheduled," and Scotty has a work shift to maintain, but other than that, time doesn't matter much right now. We can't be late for church. We can't be late for school. We have nowhere to be... ever. And that's something I'm not exactly hating. There are some things I miss, but there are a lot of things I'm happy to have a break from.

My kids are doing really well for the circumstances. Things aren't all sunshine and rainbows, but I can't complain. They have been really good (for the most part) about doing their school work. We have moments of frustration, and I've deliberately let them skip an assignment or two, but overall, they have been champions. Eva is a little neglected and kind of runs wild all day while I work with the older kids. I decided to not even bother with Eva's school. We do lots of activities as a family, and I think my kids are learning as a result of those activities, so I'm not going to worry about Eva. As long as there is a lot of creative play going on and everyone feels safe and loved, I'm good. Anything beyond that is a bonus!

Bonus learning activity: letting my kids put every single bow
and scrunch that we own in my hair

Speaking of bonuses, my bread turned out decent this week.


My last two batches have been edible but not great. This batch, I would feel okay about giving to a neighbor... but I'm not currently taking baked goods to neighbors. And it kills me. I made six dozen cookies and three carrot cakes the other day (I had a boat load of shredded carrots on hand because, for some reason, when this whole thing started, I kept panic-buying shredded carrots. And no one even tried to fight me for them!) So now I have a freezer full of cookies and cake. And I just keep baking more crap to not share with neighbors, lest I sent them the coronavirus in a cupcake. 

On Wednesday we had our April Fool's dinner.


Here is our menu:

Sticky Sticks - toaster waffles (cut into sticks) and syrup
Giant Red Zits - strawberries
Wiggly Jiggly - Jell-O
Gold Teeth - corn
Justin Timberlake Hair - Ramen
Stackers and Grease - saltine crackers with melted cheese
Oompa Loopa Fingers - baby carrots
Muddy log - celery with peanut butter
Dirty Snow - cookies and cream icecream

Scotty and I served the kids three courses, and they loved trying to figure out what each menu item was.

I'll tell you what, these kids definitely aren't suffering right now. I think they will look back on this time very fondly.

Scotty has relocated his "office" to the basement. He surfaces every now and then to see how things are going. I provide him with food and an occasional butt slap. Sometimes I convince him to change the laundry while he's working, which seems appropriate since he shares office space with the washer and dryer.  It's kind of cool to think that some of the work of building temples across the world is now being done from my home, but I definitely don't need this to a be a permanent arrangement. Home church, though, I think I could get behind permanently. I've always believed in the importance of collective assembly in worship, but I might be changing my mind. Let's just say I'm in no rush to go back. I'm really glad that Scotty and I aren't on the ward council or involved in the inner workings of the ward currently. I mean, we're always involved in the inner workings of the ward, but right now it's at a level that allows us to step away a little, and I kind of need that.

The other day we went through a bunch of old church magazines and made testimony collages. I made this one in anticipation of this weekend's General Conference:


My friend Apryl (whom I met through blogging) does some of the artwork for the Friend magazine. I always love seeing her illustrations and can recognize them easily. In the collage, the picture of Joseph reading by candlelight, the hand writing James 1:5, and the picture of Joseph praying are all Apryl's. Apryl has a book coming out later this year! She also does some of the artwork for Grandpa Beck's Games. I basically want everything Apryl has ever done to be compiled in a book just for ME! But I digress...

While we were going through magazines, I came across this picture:


It seemed so perfect for what I'm feeling right now. I have turned a lot of things over to the Lord lately - and not just things involving the current state of the world. Personal things, too. 

TRUST.

It's all I can do. And even though I am experiencing a roller coaster of emotions right now, there is always a feeling of peace that I come back to, and I know where that peace is coming from. 

*I realize we're not technically "quarantined," but that's pretty much the easiest word to use for "social distancing under a county-issued stay at home order." 

1 comment:

Lena said...

I used your April Fools dinner idea. It was a lot of fun.